GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 540i Tensioner

Default 540i Tensioner

I was planning to reseal my intake this weekend, but a buddy mentioned that I may as well replace the valley pan gasket while I am that deep which prompted me to search and I see that Jeff recommends replacing the coolant manifold o-rings, both of which will require draining the coolant. I did not call BMA early enough last Monday, and my hoses, water pump, and radiator will not be here until next Monday so it looks like I can't do the intake reseal this weekend, which leads to my question...

I ordered two new belts and Patrick said both tensioners may be hydraulic but advised me to check. Can I tell if I do with a visual inspection, and if so, is there anything else in the tensioning realm I need to replace while I am replacing the belts? I notice all the posts about mechanical tensioners seem to involve 530i's or the sixes.
    Last edited by zhandax; 09-28-2006 at 04:55 AM.
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

I can't really answer your question... but 2 weeks ago a bolt securing the belt tensioner (on the alternator's side) snapped, which - in some unknown consequential order - threw the belt, destroyed my water-pump, sheared off some fan-blades which punctured the radiator... which has now drained my wallet.
    I guess that the bolt snapping was the consequence of its being overtightened sometime during the car's life. If there's a lesson of sorts in this, it's that the little, overlooked, unsexy things can suddenly fail and wreak havoc.

Don't know if the tensioners are hydraulic but if they are the same as my SAAB's they are both mechanical and hydraulic. There is a mechanical spring and hydraulic oil for damping.

You can't buy the valley pan gasket anymore. BMW, in its traditional over engineering manner, replaced the gasket with one baked on the pan so you have to replace the pan.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

It is a mechanical spring tensioner. It is a no brainer. When new belt is installed... crank the tensional all the way to the max... and tighten the bolts up. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by yaofeng
    You can't buy the valley pan gasket anymore. BMW, in its traditional over engineering manner, replaced the gasket with one baked on the pan so you have to replace the pan.
    Is the pan you are talking about #2 here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...98&hg=11&fg=40

They don't list a part number for it. Will it need to be replaced and where can I find a pn?

Also, can someone comment on how to remove the coolant tubes?
    Last edited by brosher; 09-28-2006 at 10:59 AM.

At least by waiting to do the job, I can get one from BMA rather than the local dealer who wants $100 for the pan/gasket. Do I need one tensioner or two? I ordered both belts.
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

Quote Originally Posted by zhandax
    At least by waiting to do the job, I can get one from BMA rather than the local dealer who wants $100 for the pan/gasket. Do I need one tensioner or two? I ordered both belts.
    Please tell me where you can get the valley pan.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by brosher
    Is the pan you are talking about #2 here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...98&hg=11&fg=40

They don't list a part number for it. Will it need to be replaced and where can I find a pn?

Also, can someone comment on how to remove the coolant tubes?
    They are item #1 and #2.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...10&hg=11&fg=10

But like I said you can't get the gasket anymore. The new design has the gasket baked on the pan. So you need to get the pan. It is a dealer item. The cost is not too bad, $55? Check the following source.

http://www.bmw-auto-parts-dealer.com/

This is my sole dealer source. Their prices are not too bad. Two things I don't like are:

1) they are located in New Jersey so I pay taxes,
    2) they charge shipping. There is no free shipping.
    Last edited by yaofeng; 09-29-2006 at 07:25 PM.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

Are you sure you can't get the gasket? I plugged in the PN and they have a price for it on that site. I'll call my stealer and see if they can order it.

I bought the pan with the gasket a few months ago after being informed by the dealer the gasket is no longer available. If you can get it, let me know. I'll buy one too. Why would I buy a new pan every time I open it? I think BMW did this to stick to us. It is a rip-off.

BMW has ways of ripping owners off. New pan and old shown side by side. The new one has the rubber gasket baked on it. The old one has a paper gasket. Is the new design better? Just more expensive I think.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast