GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this for?

Default What is this for?

After looking at some pictures of other E34s, I noticed that most of you have a solid tow hook plate on both sides next to the fog lights. Mine however has a duct that goes somewhere, but I have no idea where, nor do I actually care, just curious. I did notice that when I wash my car and spray water in there that the water that comes out is full of gas or oil or something. Here's a pic:

Yeah, I know, that trim piece is a little rough, just give me time, and a part number lol. Anyway, thanks for your input

would it be a cold air feed to the airbox? if it is don't spray water in it

thats the air feed to the alternator. Under the bumper there should be plastic ducting that goes the the alternator. Many cars dont have them and it can lead to excessive wear.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    thats the air feed to the alternator. Under the bumper there should be plastic ducting that goes the the alternator. Many cars dont have them and it can lead to excessive wear.
    What are you talking about? My alternator had a CAI that ducted to behind the headlights. I can't see how they would allow a duct so low such that the alternator could get wet?
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Quote Originally Posted by nizmainiac
    would it be a cold air feed to the airbox? if it is don't spray water in it
    BMW airboxes can handle **** loads of spray water, they are designed to. The internal design arrests the drops and drains out- 110mph in the pouring rain is kinda like the first test they must pass. Intake humidity to the engine can increase, but it takes minutes for the element to dry once the heavy storm passes. The car operates perfectly well at bahn speed despite this however, perhaps the water causes some effect increasing consumption reducing performance but usually the cold helps and with that much rain out there it is the last thing on a drivers mind...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    What are you talking about? My alternator had a CAI that ducted to behind the headlights. I can't see how they would allow a duct so low such that the alternator could get wet?
    The M60 intakes are a different setup to M30. It'd be well managed, not sure how though, Jeff?

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

#5 is the alternator cooling tube deal:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...92&hg=12&fg=22
    Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    The M60 intakes are a different setup to M30. It'd be well managed, not sure how though, Jeff?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks Jeff. Perhaps this the standard setup on all V8s: Looks to me like the air is being blown into the area directly behind the alternator. This would create a vacuum behind it, ensuring a consistent flow of air coming from the radiator (which is within a known temperature range) gets drawn through the alternator. Whatever water can make it in can therefore do so without any ill effect...
    Last edited by genphreak; 09-27-2006 at 07:50 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Thanks for the information guys. As always, you are a great deal of help and I really appreciate it.

Regal is right. The m60's had different cooling methods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast