GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Car died on way to work

Default Car died on way to work

Help!
    THis morning on the way to work my 530i began to act as if was fuel starved and eventually quit running. Fortunately i was able to pull into a gas station and call a co-worker to come and get me. The code was 1213. While i was waiting i tried to start the car multiple times and it did start but wouldn't idle.
    I removed the plug going to the MAF and was able to drive it to work having my co worker follow me. The code gives numerous action items and i was thinking of the easiest way to troubleshoot the problem without replacing a bunch of parts.

Part of the explanation on the code is as follows
    1. Fuel tank ran empty. The tank is full.
    2. Incorrect fuel pressure. How do you check this?
    3. Injector valve defective or coked? How do you check this?
    4. Engine temp sensor defective. It appears to be ok.
    5. Secondary air leak. I just put on a new manifold gasket behind the throttle body a few weeks ago after checking this with the carb cleaner test.
    6. Fuel evaporation control system defective. How do you check this?
    7. Air flow meter defective and or combustion issues? How do you check this?

I need to drive over 90 miles back home this evening and really don't want to get stuck on 75 in Atlanta.

ANy help would be GREATLY aprreciated.

Chris
    95 530i 167000

2. test fuel pressure with a pressure gauge. You either hook up to a fitting on the rail or put in a T and coonect up.

3. After running the car for a couple min check the temp of the exhaust at each port. Lower temp that the others would indicate a lack of combustion. This is just a start to diagnosing this as you may be getting too much fuel.

4. I think the engine temp sensor is interchangeable with one of the other sensors(can someone confirm?) you could try swapping the connectors and see if that helps.

5. check it again and check anything else that may leak.

7. it runs without the AFM so that could be the problem. I think bentley has the test info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm no expert but I'd say you have an air leak you don't know about OR the temp sensor is dead as somehting is seriously upsetting combustion control and the ECU is obviously confused. Have you checked the resistance of the temp sensor? It will read a value that (when at ambient temp) factors to measure the ambient temperature: 2.1-2.9 Ohms is okay for an ambient of 66-70F (19-21 degrees C).

Bently describes 1213 as being O2 sensor lean/rich stop (DME 3.3 only). Given that this is your earlier concern, you may not have found the leak downstream of the MAF yet. If your DME misses a signal it will switch to Limp mode; suggests the temp sensor, O2 or MAF.

BTW; Bently also says if all inputs are correct, replace the ECM. You need to get advice from a fellow M60 owner on where to look for your intake leaks- there is probably somehting in the valley that needs checking. Others might pipe up I hope.

I'd try not to drive the car 90 miles in limp mode
    Last edited by genphreak; 09-27-2006 at 09:29 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

plug the sensor back in and reset the computer. You could have a serious intake leak somewhere, the intake gaskets on my car were hard as rocks when I changed them. drive it back home after the reboot and see what code comes up again.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy