GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 540 barely runs. Code 1222, "Lambda Control" ? Help!

Default 540 barely runs. Code 1222, "Lambda Control" ? Help!

Help all,

The '95 540 almost stranded my wife today. Ran very rough at freeway speed, little or no throttle response. "Check Engine" light on.

Did the stomp test: #1222 - "Lambda Control 1".

Drove it myself a few hours later, seemed fine, until I drove it for about 7-8 miles, then did the same thing again. Barely made it home!

Any ideas? Bentley's has -0- information on this. Do I need to get it into a shop, or is this something I can repair myself?

*ANY* help is greatly appreciated ! ! !

Thank you!

Default me too

Quote Originally Posted by STingray1100
    Help all,

The '95 540 almost stranded my wife today. Ran very rough at freeway speed, little or no throttle response. "Check Engine" light on.

Did the stomp test: #1222 - "Lambda Control 1".

Drove it myself a few hours later, seemed fine, until I drove it for about 7-8 miles, then did the same thing again. Barely made it home!

Any ideas? Bentley's has -0- information on this. Do I need to get it into a shop, or is this something I can repair myself?

*ANY* help is greatly appreciated ! ! !

Thank you!
    i'm getting the same error usually happens when I'm accerelating and above 3k rpm. Taking my car into shop to figure it out on Friday. They said they gonna do a SCOPE AND ADJUST???? whatever that means?

Here ya go...

1221 and 1222 are usually the o2 sensor output is low.
    Lambda Control #1 means the mixture is not varying and the OBD I system can not determine if it is a cause or affect.

I have no model or year information so I will give the usual generic o2 sensor info.

Bosch makes a generic sensor the same as the manufacture sensor for about 50% less.

It comes with wire connectors and you reuse the OE connector.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

this is exactly why I wanted to do the basics threads. Let me tell you a little about you and where you live.... you are a kind soul who bought what you thought to be a maintenance free car, your climate is getting colder.

no?

You need to replace the pcv plate and intake gaskets.

im not getting deeper into this, read down a few lines and every V8 on this board is having the same problem as YOU! Happens this time every year man, bite the bullet and spend your 100 bux for the parts/gaskets.

Thank you![/QUOTE]
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Or more comprehensively...

This code is stored when the DME detects excessive deviations in the air-fuel mixture (too rich or too lean) for longer than 10 seconds. Possible causes: Fuel tank ran empty, Incorrect Fuel Pressure, Injector valve defective or coked, Engine Temperature Sensor defective, Secondary air leak, Fuel evaporation control system defective, Air Flow Meter defective and/or the combustion is being disturbed by mechanical failure (Spark plugs, compression, intake/exhaust valves, ...etc.)
    See: http://bmw3s.ru/text/tehdan/coddme1.htm
    Last edited by Qube; 11-02-2005 at 11:26 PM.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

or?

read the recent posts about the dude that spent 5k trying to fix the problem and still has it.

only thing NOT changed was intake gaskets and PCV plate gaskets...hmmmm

I might be way off on this one huh?
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 11-02-2005 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Dyslexia and a shitty keyboard
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    this is exactly why I wanted to do the basics threads. Let me tell you a little about you and where you live.... you are a kind soul who bought what you thought to be a maintenance free car, your climate is getting colder.

no?

You need to replace the pcv plate and intake gaskets.

im not getting deeper into this, read down a few lines and every V8 on this board is having the same problem as YOU! Happens this time every year man, bite the bullet and spend your 100 bux for the parts/gaskets.

Thank you!
    [/QUOTE]

I think, while this could certainly be the issue, that it's far cheaper and efficient to check other things first. I had this issue about 2 months ago, and it was certainly not my intake gaskets nor my PCV plate.

It was a combination of 1) O2 sensors needed to be replaced (by virtue of timing, not anything particularly wrong) and 2) My intake boot (or elbow) was disintegrated. I have a sneaking suspicion that just replacing the rubber boot would have fixed the problem up and up.

I think it might be prudent for us, as folks who have experienced these problems and give advice to others, to not just assume that every symptom has only one fix, or the cause is even the most popular problem associated with the given symptoms.

Could it be the PCV plate? Possibly. Wouldn't it be better to start with easier and cheaper solutions than perhaps causing people more undue stress and work than required?

Owner - Willamette Valley Motor Sports, LLC

yes your absolutly right, replace every other part that could cause that fault first.

then after you have spent your thousands on parts and work remember I mentioned the PCV plate and gasket/intake gaskets.

this will go on all winter man, it's a fact that the V8s inherintly FAIL also with the Nikasil diagnosis for the same reason.

word man.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

WOW! Great responses guys!

I count 2 'votes' for the O2 sensors. Not that the other ideas have no merrit, but the problem seems to come on after the engine is totally heated up (7-8 miles). Am I amiss in thinking this would be consistent with a O2 sensor problem? BTW, I checked the intake hose (elbow..."accordian"-?) from the air cleaner box to the intake inlet. Is this the right part? It seems to be perfect.

regarding the PCV plate, wouldn't that exhibit the symptoms all the time? <shrug>

I'm learning here...

Thanks,

Ray

then YOUR problem has subsided...

and it was certainly not my intake gaskets nor my PCV plate.?[/QUOTE]

also Im sure the computers were reset during this repair making it a "new" car.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast