This is a new thread.. based on another thread I started. My radio install has taken a turn and I seek new advice.

First of all, my OE radio has never worked… well sort of.

I took the OE unit apart and discovered the output amps were blown. I replaced chips and put the unit back in the car… still no sound. This really didn’t disturb me, I thought I might have missed something when I had the unit apart.

Fast forward a few months and now I’m putting in an aftermarket radio. Sure enough after I install the new radio… still no sound….. So I check the Bently… ahhh perhaps my car has an amp… So I go looking in the trunk and Yep there is a secondary amp. Damm.

I pull the amp and notice the fuse is blown… I wonder…Hmmm… I pop in a fuse and connect the original OE unit and fire it up… SOUND!

OK, so the original sound system is good.

This new Sony radio has RCA line outs and amplifier enable control wire. So its compatible with the BMW amplifier.

Currently the new radio wired wrong because I was not aware of the power amp in the trunk. My current configuration is utilizing the built in 17 Watt amp in the Sony unit. I’m aware that this would overdrive the BMW trunk amplifier… just for giggles I tried it and sure enough it all works at low volume. I didn’t try to bump up the volume for fear of blowing the BMW amp.

Anyway here is my question:

Is the BMW amplifier worth keeping? It appears to work and I can rewire my Sony to provide line level input to the amp.

Or I could just bypass the amp and have the Sony provide the power.

I’m inclined to keep the BMW amp if its worth keeping.

Comments?