GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: About Wheel Sizes

Default About Wheel Sizes

Hey Everybody,

I've got some questions about the different wheel sizes that I wanted to throw out. So before I list the questions, let me give some background on my driving habits.

Most of my driving is within city limits, with the exception of a once weekly 60 mile trip to Pilot Mountain, NC. During the trip to Pilot Mountain I may reach speeds of 80mph (to keep up with traffic), but normally I'm 5 over the limit; mostly around 50mph. I don't autocross and I haven't done a driving school (although it's on the list) and I don't antcipate extensive tracking of the car.
    Right now I'm running 225/60/15's on a set of ARE style 5 wannbes (thought I was buying 15" style 5's, oh well). I do plan on refreshing the suspension in Jan or Feb and possibly lowering it with either the Sachs kit or Koni's and Eibach's. I don't want my 5'er to ride like a luxobarge, nor do I want my teeth chattering with every drive (the cooper/s ride is about my comfort point).

My main question are:
    -Is a plus one or plus two upgrade worth it?
    -Will the gains be merely visual?
    -Are there be negative effects (other than ride quality and tire cost) if I end with my favorite wheels (Rondell 58's 17x8.5 and 17x10)?
    -Given tire cost and loss of ride quality, is a 16" wheel the way to go, and why?

TIA!
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Default stock is fine

Ashley-
    I ran the sachs kit with stock 15" for awhile- even did a couple of schools. the ride is still smooth on the highways, but very fun in the corners and curves. now I'm running 17" (to accomodate the m5 front calipers)- you will feel more of the road surface with these as compared to the 15's, so on the highway sprint upto Pilot the ride will be fun, but around town you will lose some smoothness on the roads and feel just about every bump/pebble.

Question 1- Depends on your cash flow- see next answer
    Question 2- For you it sounds like more of a visual upgrade if you will not be pushing the car towards the limits- even then the upgrade still isn't that noticable for most drivers
    Question 3- Other than ride quality and tire cost- not really- (nice choice- love the 58's)
    Question 4- I think the 16" would be a good compromise- 1- You can get the 58's 2- tire costs are lower than 17's 3- ride should not suffer (still have plenty of side wall)

The ride will also depend on the susp set-up you end up with. I think that the sachs still maintains some comfort in the ride whereas some other combo's might be stiffer all around. I also have the sachs kit on my wife's 528 (e39) with the stock 15's and it still drives on rails.

ps- I'm just up the road in Chapel Hill

Quote Originally Posted by granit_silber
    Hey Everybody,

I've got some questions about the different wheel sizes that I wanted to throw out. So before I list the questions, let me give some background on my driving habits.

Most of my driving is within city limits, with the exception of a once weekly 60 mile trip to Pilot Mountain, NC. During the trip to Pilot Mountain I may reach speeds of 80mph (to keep up with traffic), but normally I'm 5 over the limit; mostly around 50mph. I don't autocross and I haven't done a driving school (although it's on the list) and I don't antcipate extensive tracking of the car.
    Right now I'm running 225/60/15's on a set of ARE style 5 wannbes (thought I was buying 15" style 5's, oh well). I do plan on refreshing the suspension in Jan or Feb and possibly lowering it with either the Sachs kit or Koni's and Eibach's. I don't want my 5'er to ride like a luxobarge, nor do I want my teeth chattering with every drive (the cooper/s ride is about my comfort point).

My main question are:
    -Is a plus one or plus two upgrade worth it?
    -Will the gains be merely visual?
    -Are there be negative effects (other than ride quality and tire cost) if I end with my favorite wheels (Rondell 58's 17x8.5 and 17x10)?
    -Given tire cost and loss of ride quality, is a 16" wheel the way to go, and why?

TIA!
    -ashley
    Chip
    '92 535i 5sp
    EAT chip, Sachs kit, RRT sport control and upper thrust arms, SS brakelines, Camber plates, Subframe inserts, 3.64 Diff, M5 (3.6L) calipers.
    '87 325iS

Thanks Chip!

I knew that, I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else.

-ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Make sure your insurance co is OK with the wheel change.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."