GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thinking about selling my e34, need a pep talk.

Default thinking about selling my e34, need a pep talk.

When i bought my 525 i had decided that i wanted a sporty car, and i didnt care if it used more than average fuel. But now after a while of driving it, i realize that it doesnt qualify for the term "sporty" but still it uses alot of fuel, Avg i 11.5 l/100km (about 18-19mpg)

Im thinking of selling it while i still can get back what i payed for it( or more )
    And buy a newer (1997-1999) Audi a4 quattro with the 1.9tdi engine, a guy at my work have one of those, he is average`ing 0,47 l/100km, not sure how many mpg that is, but i know that my car uses more than two times fuel on the same distance, and Diesel is even 10%cheaper pr liter. He doesnt got all that power, or the roar of 6 sylinders, but its still somwhat "push" in the seatback when he floor it.

Not sure what to do right now.. Fuelprices keep going upwards, right now the they are about 2$ a litre..
    Eurospec-12/1988-535iL-M30B35-5speed

and fuel will keep going up,including deisel.Only you can decide of course,just think about the extra money you will have to find to buy a newer car,you can buy a lot of fuel..Deisels also require more maintennce(?do they still?)than petrol cars
    Gone but not forgotten

Yes i would have to take up a loan for about 100 000NOK, if i can get 50 000NOK for my e34.. (still owe the bank about 38 000nok for the e34)..

thats the major Cons about bying a newer car.. In a year or two i will have payed down the loan i have on my e34, maybe i should wait until then.. but on the other side, in two years the fuelprice will be so high that a medium heavy car with an "old" 2,5 liter engine wont be worth a penny.

So If i can sell it now, and get 50 000 for it, it would pay down the loan, and still give me 12k to spend on a new car.

Quote Originally Posted by Espen
    Yes i would have to take up a loan for about 100 000NOK, if i can get 50 000NOK for my e34.. (still owe the bank about 38 000nok for the e34)..

thats the major Cons about bying a newer car.. In a year or two i will have payed down the loan i have on my e34, maybe i should wait until then.. but on the other side, in two years the fuelprice will be so high that a medium heavy car with an "old" 2,5 liter engine wont be worth a penny.

So If i can sell it now, and get 50 000 for it, it would pay down the loan, and still give me 12k to spend on a new car.
    Work out ho far you'll drive it, and then consider the time you'll have it. Consider what the maintenance costs will be (can you get free support like you do on .info) that will help you avoid such things... can you get an Audi TIS/ETK on CD, how are the parts prices, can you plug in and do the diagnostics, etc. These are practicaly things. Other thing is the BMW is far less likely to be stolen as the old Bimmer is harder to steal, worth less and far less attractive to the kids. Also, it is bigger, more confortable, will tow things and is safer perhaps. Cheaper to repair in the case of an accident definately.

Its a question of love and math as always I'm afraid, but the practicalities are important, not just the obvious things. Things that keep me on the e34 is it sresistance to parking damage... I hate having scratched bumpers cos some idiot can't see or park properly. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

My e34 is well maintenanced the last year, many suspension parts are replaced with lemfoerders, new shocks and springs, new brakes, +++ So i know that my chanses for a cheap maintenance price the next years are good, with a "new" car i dont know for sure what condition those parts are in.

I can buy a lot of replacements parts for the money i will save in fuel. I use about 3000nok (500$) in fuel pr month, calculated over to diesel, and with a higher mpg i would use about 200-230$ pr month. But then again i have to calculate for the higher monthly payment to the loan.

Ahh.. this is just so frustrating. Why cant the gas prices be like in US.

I have been thinking about replace my enginge with a 524TDS engine.. That way i could have a litle of both.

Problem easily solved if you add LPG with VSI like the Prins one it seems...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Problem easily solved if you add LPG with VSI like the Prins one it seems...
    Except that there are allmost no Gas stations here who sells LPG

Quote Originally Posted by Espen
    Except that there are allmost no Gas stations here who sells LPG
    Awww... not even one or two on your usual routes? What about CNG- they do that too. Hmmm

Really thinking outside the square Espen, you could alwasy get a 524TD!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

18-19mpg with you 525i? that seems very poor. I averaged 23.8mpg on the way back from the beach in moderate to heavy traffic and my engine is a liter larger.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

I get 20 city /26 highway MPG in my 540i/6. I think my car is "sporty".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast