GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got an E30 318is

Default Just got an E30 318is

Hey everybody :-) I would like to share with you that I just bought this cool car for about $600 cash, and I can see the potential all over - the car is clean, it has some bumps and dents in the general area where the hood and fenders meet (due to a fact that someone tried to force the hood opened with a pair of pliers :-( Also - the hood latch is broken so it stays up.

Car is a 1991 318IS - it has not been in an accident and it has 155k miles on it.

But in any case - the car is really fun to drive, it is a 5-speed and its really lightweight compared to my old E34. I have some pics i will try to add to the post.

Thank you all for helping me sort out the mess with my E34, and I do love them, but I just cannot afford to maintain one at the moment. After this project is said and done I will definitely want to get an E34 no matter what - I just love the body style.

Also - sorry for not posting much, I am continuously busy with work at school.

-Artem

That is a good deal on such clean e30. Small cars are defiently fun to throw around. Good luck with it!

Cool, I like it!
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Smart buy Artem. So the e34 is all but gone now?

I reckon there should be an e34+e30 club for all those lucky dudes that get to own one of each... there are quite a few now cherishing their e34 whilst also stabling an e30 for the daily driving!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

As you said, it looks to be in great shape. Especially in a state which receives its fair share of snow. Was it garaged? Any pics of the interior?

Nice find,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Nice find indeed. The M42 loves high rpms and really comes alive after 3500rpm and pulls all the way to redline. Give her some TLC and she'll repay you 10 fold. Parts are plentiful and very reasonable. Welcome to the E34/318iS club!!!

keep a ear out for timing chain noise and when you hear it on start up start planning to fix it before the chain jumps and hammers the head. replacing the twinmass flywheel with a e30 325i flywheel/clutch/starter (different teeth on flywheel) really perks up that motor
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thank you all

-I am going to figure out a way to close the damn hood and then will start bondoing and sanding damaged areas. Personally, I would like to do the M50 swap from the E34, but I do not know how feasible it is - I have al the tools that I can possibly need for a task and general knowledge (I rebuilt friend's E28 over the summer - aside from taking the engine out, but I got pretty close to it - project had to be cut short, so what we did was we lowered the tranny, took the engine apart in terms of accessories, etc. Took me about 2 days to put it all back together, and 3 more to get it running but aside from that - it turned out very nicely. Oh - I updated suspension on it completely.

Now is the E30's turn - I will turn it into a really nice car, repair exterior and then move on to the other stuff...

The car really needs the following:
    Dents fixed in the fenders
    Small 2" Dent fixed in the rear quarterpanel
    Needs New tires (And maybe wheels? with tires?)
    Engine needs to be looked at - leaking oil somewhere (prolly the valve cover)
    Etc.

The fate of the E34 remains to be determined - I am really hoping to sell it as a whole, but if I figure out a way to put the M50 in the E30 (with an unknown transmission - the 240??? (if it handles the power)), etc etc. I may part it out, and there is a high chance of that happening.

Also - does anybody know where to get that front lip from - that a lot of people seem to be missing? For cheap? Used?

-Artem

My mother-in-law has a red 91 318iS with 5-speed which she has replaced with a 2000 323iS (auto). She still has it and I think Im going to get my hands on it. An incredibly fun car to drive.
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

Also - to whom who asked: the car spent a great deal of time in california and the previous owner as a matter of fact brought it here, that is why it doesnt seem to have rust in it. I am planning on going to carwash every week if i drive it in the snow, after it is at good condition.

-Artem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast