• I will be switching to Green

2 2.90%
  • I will be switching to Other

1 1.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Coolant Is In Your BMW?

Default What Coolant Is In Your BMW?

Thought I'd make a poll to see what coolant people are running since there's been a lot of coolant talk going on recently.

If you use a blue equivalent, mark blue, if you use something like Evan's NPG waterless coolant or whatever, then mark other.......

Last edited by Fetch; 09-24-2006 at 11:30 AM.
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

G05

Default Most of the cars I come across

had green in them or what appeared to be a mix of green and blue.

I always flush and refill with my favorite flavor bavarian blue coolaide so I have one less thing to worry about.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

This is not as simple as colour.

Some Greens (there are many) are downright dangerous in our engines as they are high in phosphates. BMW are not the only people that make aluminium engines/components and mix them with other stuff. A lot of manufacturers spec/make blocks and castings themselves so the variance is really the composition of the castings and how the corrosive and cooling properties of the coolant are balanced to suit. This is why a coolant that is 'OK' to use in one alloy engine is not OK in another. And the definition of OK varies I suspect also. The Germans have obviously gone to a lot of trouble testing theirs, let alone developing their own standard product, so why anyone would want to use something else (apart from availability) in a car designed for that I can't imagine.

The question really is who is using a friendly coolant and who is using the factory Glysantin (G48, blue), as opposed to who is using some drop-in and don't know whether is harmful or not. Either way, there are no studies done on other coolants that will tell you (in all conditions) that they are not harmful or even suitable to your model so the issue is surely moot- saving $10 but risking corrosion/cludging (esp. without the engineering tests to know what's what) seems somewhat foolish.

I'd hate to try and explain why its green, purple or whatever in there instead of a nice shade of cool blue... I wonder if the BMW car club judges frown on people that have different coloured expansion tanks when they are showing their cars? Does anyone even have tanks that aren't blue at a BMW CCA show and shine??
    Last edited by genphreak; 09-24-2006 at 07:42 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Default Nick,Glysantin for the bmw is G48 not G05, Its produced

by Zerex here in the US for distribution in the US. The GO5 is a very light yellow almost clear also produced by zerex , used in Mercedes, Ford and Dodge/chrysler

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    This is not as simple as colour.

Some Greens (there are many) are downright dangerous in our engines as they are high in phosphates. BMW are not the only people that make aluminium engines/components and mix them with other stuff. A lot of manufacturers spec/make blocks and castings themselves so the variance is really the composition of the castings and how the corrosive and cooling properties of the coolant are balanced to suit. This is why a coolant that is 'OK' to use in one alloy engine is not OK in another. And the definition of OK varies I suspect also. The Germans have obviously gone to a lot of trouble testing theirs, let alone developing their own standard product, so why anyone would want to use something else (apart from availability) in a car designed for that I can't imagine.

The question really is who is using a friendly coolant and who is using the factory Glysantin (G05, blue), as opposed to who is using some drop-in and don't know whether is harmful or not. Either way, there are no studies done on other coolants that will tell you (in all conditions) that they are not harmful or even suitable to your model so the issue is surely moot- saving $10 but risking corrosion/cludging (esp. without the engineering tests to know what's what) seems somewhat foolish.

I'd hate to try and explain why its green, purple or whatever in there instead of a nice shade of cool blue... I wonder if the BMW car club judges frown on people that have different coloured expansion tanks when they are showing their cars? Does anyone even have tanks that aren't blue at a BMW CCA show and shine??

Mine came kinda purple.....

good poll.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Sporting the G05 in the E34, pretty sure I've got the blue stuff in my E46.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    by Zerex here in the US for distribution in the US. The GO5 is a very light yellow almost clear also produced by zerex , used in Mercedes, Ford and Dodge/chrysler
    Thanks Bill, again... I've never seen it. I'll update my post...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

i spank off in mine sorta like evans
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Well I guess the key there is... are there SAFE greens... whether or not they are endorsed by BMW to use?
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast