GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M60 Coolant Hose Blows off of Radiator!

Default M60 Coolant Hose Blows off of Radiator!

To make this part of the story short.....Shortly after 5500rpm shift, strong coolant smell......Drive slowly for 30 sec, watching engine temp expecting the worst......temp doesn't increase at all.....

Get to stoplight 1 min later, a very small amount of steam is seeping out of the hood, I put the heater on full blast and watch the engine temp more, still not raising at all. I pulled into a parking lot right off of the stop light I was at. Get out of car, trail of liquid following my car into the parking lot.

I pop the hood and see the top radiator hose disconnected!!!

I inspected all belts, and cleaned up coolant that had gotten on mostly the brake booster. I reconnected the coolant hose & re-clamped the clamp. I dumped the half gallon of premixed coolant I had in the trunk into the system, it drank it all with no regrets......

I walked over to the car-x place that happened to be right there, and they gave me a gallon of water, I dumped almost all that in too.

Then drove to a place that would sell me antifreeze without them wanting to charge to put it in themselves.

Filled up with equal amount of 100% coolant to balance out water I put in earlier. Then drove around more stopping 3 times to top off with mixed coolant. Last stop it seemed to have bleed all air out of the system, and was holding the same level in the expansion tank.

Whole time I was doing this I had heater on full blast to make sure coolant was circulating thru that system as well.

So any ideas why my top radiator hose blew off?....I'm guessing it wasn't tightened enough, and blew off. Then the water pump completely dumped all my coolant.

Weirdest thing is, the engine temp never went a hair over it's normal spot, normally it sits just barely over the halfway point.

That's my story for the day
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

I spray a little permatex inside the mouth of the hose so it sticks... then I clamp the hose and gently tighten it.
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    I spray a little permatex inside the mouth of the hose so it sticks... then I clamp the hose and gently tighten it.
    Beware any bits that push off inside, they just will work to clog things up.

Maybe you had the wrong coolant in there and the pressure got too much... sorry for the insolnce but it doesn't sound like you are using cool blue as it isn't available just anywhere.

Regardless factory cars ever have trouble with hoses blowing off, maybe yours are old, clamps wrong or more liklely someone forgot to tighten it enough? Could be someone being too conservative too- the radiator being a plastic connection seldom responds well to overdoing it BMW have a rating for the tightness I do believe...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Beware any bits that push off inside, they just will work to clog things up.

Maybe you had the wrong coolant in there and the pressure got too much... sorry for the insolnce but it doesn't sound like you are using cool blue as it isn't available just anywhere.

Regardless factory cars ever have trouble with hoses blowing off, maybe yours are old, clamps wrong or more liklely someone forgot to tighten it enough? Could be someone being too conservative too- the radiator being a plastic connection seldom responds well to overdoing it BMW have a rating for the tightness I do believe...

oh yes, I know it has the wrong coolant in there. I've inquired about it in other threads.

The top radiator hose gets pretty much rock hard when the engine is warmed up, it seems like it has too much pressure.
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Quote Originally Posted by Fetch
    oh yes, I know it has the wrong coolant in there. I've inquired about it in other threads. The top radiator hose gets pretty much rock hard when the engine is warmed up, it seems like it has too much pressure.
    That sounds normal to me. If you are really worried, try pulling the radiator out and giving it a backwards flush from top to bottom (standing on the input tank not the normal orientation). If someone has used the wrong coolant in there or never changed it, it could be clogged up with corroded material. Beware the problems; head gaskets are not an easy job...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

That sounds normal to me. If you are really worried, try pulling the radiator out and giving it a backwards flush from top to bottom (standing on the input tank not the normal orientation). If someone has used the wrong coolant in there or never changed it, it could be clogged up with corroded material. Beware the problems; head gaskets are not an easy job...
    Well, before it dumped all my coolant out, the coolant was very clean looking, like it had recently been changed. Also, the radiator is way too new looking to be the original, so I'm pretty sure that it is ok.

oh, so you mean, the headgasket could have a leak, and the engine is pressurizing the coolant system? Is there a way to check for this?
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Quote Originally Posted by Fetch
    Well, before it dumped all my coolant out, the coolant was very clean looking, like it had recently been changed. Also, the radiator is way too new looking to be the original, so I'm pretty sure that it is ok.

oh, so you mean, the headgasket could have a leak, and the engine is pressurizing the coolant system? Is there a way to check for this?
    No, but the wrong coolant is a very bad thing in a BMW. It sounds weird but is true. It doesn't take long to destroy a lot, they are very specific about it. Search for coolant and you'll see if you don't beleive me. Plain water is ok to run until you can get cool blue (BASF Glysantin coolant). I ran a day or two on water once instead of putting the wrong stuff in as I didn';t want to flush it...

The green must all be taken out (fully flushed, block drained according to procedure) when you swap over- whatever is left inside will eat the alloy of the block, radiator and heater core away as best it can.

BTW When at temperature the hoses should be well pressurized. Wrong coolant may affect this. I wouldn't expect much difference in pressure from top to bottom hose.

Is the system properly bled- this should be your first check. With your cooling system, go exactly by the book, it is mission critical after all. For $50 there is some a coolant checker- Shogun posted about it recently re a post someone put up on troubleshooting potential head problems- search for that to find it....
    Last edited by genphreak; 09-23-2006 at 12:08 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Ok, well from what I could tell from Jeff's posts, it would be ok to run it for awhile, and that it won't immediately do anything. But you say it should be changed right away?......

The soonest I would be able to drain and fully flush the system would be when I go home in two weeks.
    Last edited by Fetch; 09-23-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

... the wrong coolant is a very bad thing in a BMW. It sounds weird but is true. It doesn't take long to destroy a lot, they are very specific about it. Search for coolant and you'll see if you don't beleive me. Plain water is ok to run until you can get cool blue (BASF Glysantin coolant)...
    I've seen this several times, here and elsewhere, including some who seem to suggest that you should only use genuine BMW coolant or (apparently) your engine will dissolve. I've also seen comments to the effect that any aluminium-compatible coolant is fine.

Is there something unique to BMW cooling systems that requires blue and only blue? I notice the Bentley manual says on page 170-6 to "always use genuine BMW coolant or its equivalent to avoid the formation of harmful, clogging deposits..." I would take "equivalent" to mean any aluminium-compatible coolant, as long as it's changed every two years. Yes? No?

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

The prestone antifreeze I put in:

"carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum"
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast