GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop Blowing Me!

Default Stop Blowing Me!

Dear All,

I have yet 'another' problem with my '89 535i SE. Was raining the other day and my windshield fogged up, so I used the 'de-fog' and the windshield cleared fine. After it had cleared I pressed the switch to turn it off and it did - however, the fan was still running.

Got home, turned the car off, turned the ignition switch to position '2' and straight away the blower fan came on 'all-powerful', slowly it died away as the little flaps inside closed off the vents, but the fan was still on and making an annoying whistling sound as the air was trying to escape.

So, out came the fuse (No.19) tried it again and the fan was off. Put the fuse back in and 'wrrrrmmmm' the blower strated again. Took out the relay - again it stopped and again when I put the relay beck in it started again!

I have tried turning the blower on using the rotary controller, have tried turning the dials for heat/air-con on and off, pressed all the other button on the air-con control panel BUT STILL THE BLOWER FAN IS RUNNING.

ARGHHHHHH! Why did I choose the 5? - I was happy with the E30 - nice and simple, but this!

...No, no... calm down Flamin'Cow, You know why you chose it - 3.5 litres, manual gearbox and an M5 LSD is why you chose it.....

Any ideas anyone?

Kindest regards

Flamin'Cow

Default Most likely this relay inside the sword is stuck closed

. If you remove the sword and open up the handle you'll see this relay, look and see if the contacts have welded themselves together.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamin'Cow
    Dear All,

I have yet 'another' problem with my '89 535i SE. Was raining the other day and my windshield fogged up, so I used the 'de-fog' and the windshield cleared fine. After it had cleared I pressed the switch to turn it off and it did - however, the fan was still running.

Got home, turned the car off, turned the ignition switch to position '2' and straight away the blower fan came on 'all-powerful', slowly it died away as the little flaps inside closed off the vents, but the fan was still on and making an annoying whistling sound as the air was trying to escape.

So, out came the fuse (No.19) tried it again and the fan was off. Put the fuse back in and 'wrrrrmmmm' the blower strated again. Took out the relay - again it stopped and again when I put the relay beck in it started again!

I have tried turning the blower on using the rotary controller, have tried turning the dials for heat/air-con on and off, pressed all the other button on the air-con control panel BUT STILL THE BLOWER FAN IS RUNNING.

ARGHHHHHH! Why did I choose the 5? - I was happy with the E30 - nice and simple, but this!

...No, no... calm down Flamin'Cow, You know why you chose it - 3.5 litres, manual gearbox and an M5 LSD is why you chose it.....

Any ideas anyone?

Kindest regards

Flamin'Cow

Did you accidentally enable the fan timer on the obc? With the ignition on press the timer button and then the s/r button. If it is set to 'ON' the fan will continue to run after car shuts off.

EDIT: actually i don't think this feature was on the 89's

Thankyou - what is the 'Sword' and where is it?

Nah - it only does it when the ignition is 'ON'

Default The sword is the speed controller for the blower that

most e34's use. Some use a resistor pack instead, but most early cars like yours use a sword. Check here at Bruno's for more info
    Where this screwdriver is is where the sword is, the green electrical plug plugs into the sword. On a US model this is on the passenger side under the dash on the side of the tunnel.

Thankyou - what is the 'Sword' and where is it?

I think there is also a relay in the underhood box that feeds the power to fuse 19. That one is easy enough to check.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Errr, I don't think I have a 'sword'. Is the 'Sword' the controller that slides left/right to control the power of the fan like on the old E30's?

As stated, when I turn the blower 'ON' its turns on. However when I turn it off, it takes AGES for the little flaps in the vents to move and then the Blower stays on anyway! (but not at full-power)

This is what my dash looks like.....which button is buggered?

Default Your a/c control panel is the ihka type and yes you most

likely do have a sword, even if it is right hand drive.

Errr, I don't think I have a 'sword'. Is the 'Sword' the controller that slides left/right to control the power of the fan like on the old E30's?

As stated, when I turn the blower 'ON' its turns on. However when I turn it off, it takes AGES for the little flaps in the vents to move and then the Blower stays on anyway! (but not at full-power)

This is what my dash looks like.....which button is buggered?
    Last edited by Bill R.; 11-03-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Mosfets in the sword can also fail in a conductive state - this may account for the fact the fan stays running but at reduced speed. If the relay contacts are fused the fan will stay running at full speed.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast