GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Touring or 740iL

Default Touring or 740iL

The time is approaching for my wife and I where a house and kids are going to be part of our lives. Living in NYC, my wife has no need for a car but will need one for where we are planning to move. And, unfortunately she cannot drive manual transm. and refuses to learn. So one of my cars has to go, is it the 525 or A4 - I'd rather let the latter go instead. I asked her what she has in mind, "anything is fine - just automatic". So Im thinking of E38 740iL or an E39 Touring - I dig both of them, simply put I want something I can enjoy too.

Rarely do I see any touring versions, and if any, they have the smaller engines. With the added wagon weight, are the 2.5 or 2.8L motors capable of pulling? Or does the trunk volume and rear seat space of the 740iL compete with that of the touring? Are they any forum members who are in my situation and can shed some light or advice as to which vehicle is better equipped? Pros/cons, versus, etc.

The important question I have is how reliable are the auto transmissions available on these cars?

TIA
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

Now that I think about it - trade ins. Never done it before, dont know anything about it other than that I hear of people trading in older for newer.
    Just wondering if the Audi could be used to trade in for a BMW.
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

Not sure if you wanted an E34 or E39 but the E39 540iT only came in auto in the U.S. It'll have the torque, power and looks damn good!!

As far as trades don't see why you couldn't trade your Audi for a newer or older BMW? Of course, you'll get more for your vehicle privately than any dealership would give you. But, if you're pressed to get a vehicle right away, that might be your option for now.

Here's a cool one just for reference.. And it's a Sport too, with the M bumpers, shadowline, etc.., very nice.. Of course, I don't know your price range but, you get the idea.. http://www.internetautoguide.com/use.../70/index.html
    Last edited by DABIMR; 09-21-2006 at 01:18 PM.
    aka "BMRSEB" - USA

Yes, a BMW dealership will take anything as a trade-in if they think they can sell it. An A4 fits the bill.

I'd go for the E38 myself. Sooo cool. I'd go for the short-wheelbase sport version, though, with M parallels. Yum.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Default Get the Touring!

but I am bias, since I have one and love it.

M50tu has good power (better than an M20) and it handles like anyother e34.

The fold down seats allow for oversize objects and the roof rack comes in handy for lumber and stuff.

It's got a dual sunroof so the kids in back can catch a tan on the way to school too.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

I'm with Bob. Forget the e39 touring, get the e34 touring.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Well, I'm obviously biased, but I love the Touring and it really comes down to what kind of cargo you expect to haul.

The LWB 7-series will have more rear leg room, but that's it. The Touring could haul large bulky items with ease...the 7 series has a long, but shallow trunk that won't handle big square items like a 32" TV box, or really long stuff like a 6" ladder, or a fully assembled rotary engine, or a 10-drawer Craftsman toolbox, or you know, other random stuff.

IMO the Touring, be it E34 or E39 is much more practical as a daily driver/family hauler than a 7, especially a SWB 7 that won't have much more rear leg room.

As to power, I can't say...I wanted a Touring with Torque, so I built my own.

I vote touring as well. I don't even have kids and I want one. Having a house alone is excuse for buying a wagon and a pickup. Kids just add to the needs and you'll be moving onto a van.

I've owned numerous 7s ( E32s) and now an E34 touring. The trunk of a seven will hold as much as a touring, at least in the generations I refer to.
    It is very nice though to access whatever you are carrying without getting out of the car. And folding the seats gives a bit more than the 7 trunk can hold.
    The 7 is a more luxurious car, the V12 is really something special.
    A 540 touring would trump the 7 in my eyes because of the power that is lacking in the 5er I own.
    A good friend has a '99 528 and it's a bigger pig than mine w/o the added weight of a touring.
    The 3 wagon is a joke, I can cary more in my arms.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Thank you all for your input. Have been searching, and the tourings command a little more $$ than an E38. The 540iT would be choice. The touring seems much more practical esp. with having to do home improvement work, dogs, etc. Well it's up to my wife (and hopefully she will be happy with the choices) and it would be best for her to test drive it, it wouldnt be right to drive a car you cant handle or dont like.

No vans

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast