GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Missing Fusible Link?

Default Missing Fusible Link?

Does my car really have two fusible links? My '90 535 has intermittent issues with the windows and central locking, sometimes they kinda work, sometimes they don't work at all. All threads and posts I've read mostly refer to two fusible links, 80A and 60A. Under the rear seat sits my battery, and the pos pole connector has two main leads, a very thick one (obviously running to alternator/starter) and a thinner one, which has an in-line fusible link rated at 80A about 8 inches from the battery pole. For the life of me, I cannot find the 60A link, which is suggested to be under the hood on the right hand shock pillar. There is nothing there. Am I looking in the correct place? Or does this car simply not have the 60A link?

not sure...FWIW peeps this car is a South African model
    Gone but not forgotten

Surely you mean 50A link? (from Bently)

I doubt the smaller one is on the tower, I thought 535 has them under the rear seat- the write up I read on bmwe34.net talks about one being inline within the loom right near where it feeds through the chassis under the seat. I found my 80A one degrading for a while, now it is almost all dead. I think the rivets lose it, can probably be repaired by resqueezing them but I'll put a changable fuse in there instead to satisfy my annoyance that they made it non-servicable when they really didn't need to.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Surely you mean 50A link? (from Bently)

I doubt the smaller one is on the tower, I thought 535 has them under the rear seat- the write up I read on bmwe34.net talks about one being inline within the loom right near where it feeds through the chassis under the seat. I found my 80A one degrading for a while, now it is almost all dead. I think the rivets lose it, can probably be repaired by resqueezing them but I'll put a changable fuse in there instead to satisfy my annoyance that they made it non-servicable when they really didn't need to.
    Ok, so point me in the right direction. I've found the 80A - thats housed in a little plastic case on the red wire right near the battery. Where do I start looking for the other one?