GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Independent Service Shops in Oak Brook, IL area

Default Independent Service Shops in Oak Brook, IL area

Any good independent BMW shops in the Chicagoland area so I don't get ripped by the dealer, specifically the Southwest burbs. I work near Oak Brook, IL and would like to find a shop nearby there.
    Thanks.

In Glenview you can go to Midwest Motorsports. I haven't personally had experience with them. My father knows the owner. I've heard they do amazing work & know their stuff.
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Default Skokie has North Pointe Motors...

...on Terminal Ave. at Church. Going there for years as has my wife. 847-470-9393. Ask for Tim or Adam.

Helmut & Vito's on Ogden in Westmont. Always lots of Bimmers in the lot.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Fetch
    In Glenview you can go to Midwest Motorsports. I haven't personally had experience with them. My father knows the owner. I've heard they do amazing work & know their stuff.
    I don't think they are still open. I have had terrible experiences with them. They keep the car too long, they racked miles on my car, there was work I had to correct, and I noticed prices for the same part kept on increasing to more than twice...within the same year.
    Brandon J

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J
    I don't think they are still open. I have had terrible experiences with them. They keep the car too long, they racked miles on my car, there was work I had to correct, and I noticed prices for the same part kept on increasing to more than twice...within the same year.
    Wow, comes as a surprise to me!
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Default helmut vitos

Quote Originally Posted by Fetch
    Wow, comes as a surprise to me!
    They are still open.
    I've heard that they are expensive from a friend who has an Audi that needed to be fixed. If anyone has more experience with Helmut and Vito's, please let me know.

I fix my own so can't speak from experience. My rule to others is see what's in the lot and if your car fits in then give it a go.
    I'd rather pay a guy $100 an hour who can diagnose than half that for someone who is going to learn on my car at my expense.
    If you don't need any diagnostics and just someone to turn wrenches then how about DIY? That's what most of us are, plus a few generous pros who share their wisdom and smart ass comments.
    You can also ask at the parts counter of the local dealer if any of the mechanics do side jobs. Be diplomatic, they are usually union and every shop has a sniveling whiner that will cry about it to the steward.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by gymkata
    Any good independent BMW shops in the Chicagoland area so I don't get ripped by the dealer, specifically the Southwest burbs. I work near Oak Brook, IL and would like to find a shop nearby there.
    Thanks.
    Have you ever heard of Ben T.? He is in Maywood. He does all BMWs, he is a big CCA guy and was one of the few mentioned in the Roundel when an e30 M3 owner flew him to another state for the weekend to do an S14 conversion in a vintage 2002. The place looks like a salvage yard of BMWs and parts, but he is very very good. He is one of those BMW guys who does his research, does his work for the passion of BMWs, and is very qualified.

His place is called B and D import car repair. (708) 450-0300 - if you call, leave a message. If his father answers (heavy accent) and says Ben is not there, then call again later. Definitely worth it to call again. Plus, he charges for the job rather than hours and is much less than anyone else around. When you drive there, look for a parking lot of older BMWs. No sign. No flashy advertising. Gets all his work through referrals. Tell him Brandon with the e34/S38 told you.
    Brandon J