GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Oil Change after using sythentic

Default First Oil Change after using sythentic

I used 15w50 mobil 1 for the first time last fall. Just changed it today after 4,800 miles. Boy, was it dirty looking and seemed much thicker than the new 15w50 mobil 1 put back in.

Is this typical for the first change? It seems as if synthetic oils clean the engine much better than conventional oils.

I also used a BMW filter. Is ther a better filter to use. I removed a Mahle. It actually looked better made.

The car seems to run smoother and quieter. Just an observation.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

If you are considering oil change intervals between 4k-5k miles, then it might be wise to change the oil filter half way through. Eventhough the oil is up to the task of a longer interval, the filter may not be.
    Brandon J

Default Great idea!

I had not intended to go so long. However, I work in one city and my dealer and/or Indy was in the town where I live. Never could coordinate. Finally did it myself. No problem. Actually, is was rather easy. However, I did not torque the insert cover or drain bolt. need an adapter on my torque wrench. May not have tightened enough. I will watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J
    If you are considering oil change intervals between 4k-5k miles, then it might be wise to change the oil filter half way through. Eventhough the oil is up to the task of a longer interval, the filter may not be.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

synthetic dont break in til 3000 miles, I wouldnt go 10K on it tho. Replacing the filter more often is a good idea if its flushing the engine clean.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Bah!

Default Bah bah black sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Bah!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Black Sheep said to Grimmy... "Don't believe what they (white sheep) says about me..."

Mobil1 functions as a detergent as well as a lubricant and will therefore over time remove the build-up that has been accruing on the inside of your engine from regular oil. Even as it removes and cleans and becomes dirty, it still retains superior lubricating qualities that your engine is most grateful for... I can send you pictures of two M30 engines with their valve covers removed, one that has had the benefit of 15W-50 Mobil1 for the past 100,000K and one that hasn't- you'll be amazed at the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ron kirk
    Mobil1 functions as a detergent as well as a lubricant and will therefore over time remove the build-up that has been accruing on the inside of your engine from regular oil. Even as it removes and cleans and becomes dirty, it still retains superior lubricating qualities that your engine is most grateful for... I can send you pictures of two M30 engines with their valve covers removed, one that has had the benefit of 15W-50 Mobil1 for the past 100,000K and one that hasn't- you'll be amazed at the difference.
    Please post the pics here. As a 15w-50 mobil 1 user I'd like to see them.

pictures "would" be an interesting addition.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast