GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone installed the Aluminium lower control arms?

Default anyone installed the Aluminium lower control arms?

I was going to order lower control arms from BMA.
    There is an option for aluminium at a slightly dearer price (by the time I frieght them to Australia the cost difference will probably be made up in reduced fright weight). So- whats the benefit? (if any).
    thanks

John 535is (now with new Bilstiens and zender springs, 17'BBS, etc)

Default Perhaps try for E31 lower control arms John...

I did went alloy with the same thinking- but not much result as best as I can tell. I bought the cheapie $115/pair ones which I think were made by Meyle. FCP Groton sell them. They have translucent ball joint boots and seemed to be excellent quality.

They look nice when you get under the car, so your mechanic will see an aesethic benefit...

I would have been smarter to have got E31 arms (a la 840/850csi), I hear that they have sperical bearings in them and fit e34. Perhaps you should check them out- do let us know what the cost is tho! No-one has posted this info yet.

BTW; jic; M5 thrust arm bushings are the go, unless you get yourself a set of Grunt's bushings pressed in there instead.

I'm sure you know but quality can vary a lot; For example I have to get some sway bar links right now, the WorldPac ones I got 3 months ago are clanking as the boots disintergrated shortly after installation... Lemforder here I come...

Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 09-19-2006 at 02:22 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

When it comes to suspension parts, I would stick to Lemforder if you do not want to do the work twice. Meyle said that they changed the design of their arms... I do not trust that company anymore.

The Aluminum control arms is designed to lower the unsprung weight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_weight

Basically if you don't plan on driving the car super hard or on the track, you will probably never see the difference.

As for thrust arm bushings.... nothing (urethane being the worse) works for the track. So we will start experimenting with modified M5 bushings and maybe spherical bearing homemade bushings.
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Quote Originally Posted by John 535is (Sydney)
    I was going to order lower control arms from BMA.
    There is an option for aluminium at a slightly dearer price (by the time I frieght them to Australia the cost difference will probably be made up in reduced fright weight). So- whats the benefit? (if any).
    thanks

John 535is (now with new Bilstiens and zender springs, 17'BBS, etc)
    I think Pundit might have installed alloy control arms.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Default Lemfoerder make the Aluminium and the steel

I decided a long time ago to stay with Lemfoerder, and why I ended up buying most stuff from BMA and frieghting it to Aust. Over here there are all sorts of odd brands.
    Unfortunately Lemfoerder make both Aluminium and steel. I checked your site Bruno, and there is a comment about the aluminium arms, but no information as to why we should or shouldn't use them.
    If lemfoerder made the top arms and other parts in Aluminium I would understand the unsprung weight theory, but it seems odd to only have one part, and becuase its a control arm, actually only half that is technically 'unsprung'.
    Have you tried the E31 arms with the different bushes?

John

Default The weight difference is minimal and i wouldn't bother with them on a

street car. The forged steel ones are much stronger and the weight penalty is slight. Over on the 7 series e32 board there have been posts of broken aluminum arms in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by John 535is (Sydney)
    I decided a long time ago to stay with Lemfoerder, and why I ended up buying most stuff from BMA and frieghting it to Aust. Over here there are all sorts of odd brands.
    Unfortunately Lemfoerder make both Aluminium and steel. I checked your site Bruno, and there is a comment about the aluminium arms, but no information as to why we should or shouldn't use them.
    If lemfoerder made the top arms and other parts in Aluminium I would understand the unsprung weight theory, but it seems odd to only have one part, and becuase its a control arm, actually only half that is technically 'unsprung'.
    Have you tried the E31 arms with the different bushes?

John

Default My Touring has them stock

and since we drive on the street, no body notices the differance in ride.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Yep, Lem are the go. I take risks trying others, but the Lem alloy arms were not available when I got mine, and from FCP Groton these were so cheap I opted to risk it.

After 6 months I'm still happy, but heck they are not stock BMW spec and if I was hitting gutters like some maybe it'd be a different story...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

My car had the aluminum lower arms when I got it, which have been worn out, so I won't be able to make a comparison when I order the steel lemforders :\

NovceGuru
    1993 525iA M50TU
    Black on Black...need pics
    208,888 miles

Default mine came with alum & i replaced them with lem. alum.......

my mech. says they will be more responsive than steel. i never heard of one breaking, but anything will break if you try hard enough.
    tim s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast