GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rejuvinating leather seats

Default Rejuvinating leather seats

I posted this as a reply on another thread, but decided it deserved a thread of its own.

I just got my car a few months ago, and was amazed at how hardened the leather was. It ain't that way any more. You need about a quart of neatsfoot oil, and about 3 days that you are not going to drive the car, but you will be amazed at how soft this can make the seats again.

Neatfoot oil (get 100% pure at a local tack shop) is what we use on saddles to keep them looking new. Trust me, if this stuff can keep a saddle soft in the conditions it has to endure in the Sierra mountains of California , it will do wonders for your seats. Unlike other products, this stuff soaks right into the pores of the leather, but on coated seats like in the car, you have to give it time. Depending on what color interior you have, it will darken the seats a bit (perfect if you have black) but this will mellow in about a week.

You basically put it on with an applicator, (I used one of those dishwashing things that you put soap in the handle) and let it sit for 2-3 days in a cool place. Buff off any left on the surface ( I doubt there will be any) and you are good to go. You MAY want to use a towel to sit on the first time you drive it to make sure all has been absorbed and not ruin a $60 shirt.

This works much better than any of the other "conditioners" I have seen out there thart just treat the outer surface of the seats, and don't do anything to keep the interior structure of the leather supple.
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

If it has **** or tires, you are going to have problems.

Thanks a lot for letting me know I just bought the car for 2 weeks. I've been trying to soften the backseat leather, but not successful. Will try this Neatfoot oil today. Can I find it at home depot?

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne001
    I posted this as a reply on another thread, but decided it deserved a thread of its own.

I just got my car a few months ago, and was amazed at how hardened the leather was. It ain't that way any more. You need about a quart of neatsfoot oil, and about 3 days that you are not going to drive the car, but you will be amazed at how soft this can make the seats again.

Neatfoot oil (get 100% pure at a local tack shop) is what we use on saddles to keep them looking new. Trust me, if this stuff can keep a saddle soft in the conditions it has to endure in the Sierra mountains of California , it will do wonders for your seats. Unlike other products, this stuff soaks right into the pores of the leather, but on coated seats like in the car, you have to give it time. Depending on what color interior you have, it will darken the seats a bit (perfect if you have black) but this will mellow in about a week.

You basically put it on with an applicator, (I used one of those dishwashing things that you put soap in the handle) and let it sit for 2-3 days in a cool place. Buff off any left on the surface ( I doubt there will be any) and you are good to go. You MAY want to use a towel to sit on the first time you drive it to make sure all has been absorbed and not ruin a $60 shirt.

This works much better than any of the other "conditioners" I have seen out there thart just treat the outer surface of the seats, and don't do anything to keep the interior structure of the leather supple.
    94' AlpineWhite 530i, 5 spd Auto, 112K miles, Mfg in 4/93

I am interested in this, but I have WHITE leather, should I not use this stuff?...
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Quote Originally Posted by e34musician
    Thanks a lot for letting me know I just bought the car for 2 weeks. I've been trying to soften the backseat leather, but not successful. Will try this Neatfoot oil today. Can I find it at home depot?
    I did a search and found it here:

http://www.nrvss.com/item.php?item=/...sfoot-oil.html
    JNMIP
    '93 E34 525i A/T 9/92

Default As a contrasting viewpoint, i have used a number of products in the

past and found that Dr. Jackson's hide rejuvenator as found here
    worked the best for me, better than neetsfoot oil or mink oil. All of them will darken up the cracks and creases in coated leather like bmw uses. It will lighten back up some after a couple of weeks, Dr. J's seems to darken the cracks less. I use it on a really hot day and rub it in all over the seats and then cover them up with plastic or saran wrap. and let i soak in all day. Sometimes i have had to repeat it 2 or 3 days in a row to get any softening on really hard leather. Then wipe it off with a soft cloth and buff off.
    Any of these if you coat the seats and let the car sit in the sun will tend to leave a coating on the inside glass that you'll have to clean off with glass cleaner.
    The color plus leather conditioner works really well also, but usually hand in hand with redying the seats using the color plus process.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne001

Can I find it at home depot?
    I'm not sure they would carry it, try looking under tack or saddles or saddlery to make sure you get stuff made just for leather. Trust me, where you live there are going to be tack shops around. I think there is a huge one in Gilroy, at least there was 10 years ago....

I am interested in this, but I have WHITE leather, should I not use this stuff?...
    White leather might be pushing things This stuff is an oil, so it is going to darken it. Since all the other color leathers fade over time, this is not a problem but a benefit. Whit white you want the opposite, to keep it white.

I like the idea of the saran wrap, that might be the way to go with white leather.
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

If it has **** or tires, you are going to have problems.

How many of the "jars" did you have to use to complete all seats? The product container looks a bit small in the pictures.
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

For AUS members, seems this place is selling it.
    http://www.vetstop.com.au/shop/shopd...t=Leather+Care
    Ill be ordering some tonight!

What sort of quantities should i be ordering? i was just going to get the 5L just incase, but if thats silly overkill for a couple of complete treatments then ill go smaller.
    11/88 535iA

My seats seem to be coated, will this help? Also, im guessing its best to thoroughly clean the seats beforehand, is htis correct?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Default try www.leatherique.com

Try

http://www.leatherique.com/

http://www.leatherique.com/serv02.htm

leather restoration products...good instructions...there is a yahoo group of people that just resotre leather using these products. I have seen some examples of complete restorations using the products and the results were amazing. I am resorting the leatheron my steering wheel next week..getting rid of the wear spots...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast