GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Cooling woes, part 3 - Death of the E34

Default Cooling woes, part 3 - Death of the E34

Well... I need a motor.

Anyone got an M50 laying around? I'll need a longblock, engine and head. Accessories, intake not needed. Try not to rape me too much. I'm looking at a 3200 dollar bill from the shop for an engine they found with 80k miles and labor. This doesn't include the radiator I'll be needing and all the juices.

Shop says the head is cracked.. no one in the area can CNC the head and reweld new material in as pelicanparts how to suggested. They're not too confident about the block with that much heat cracking the head. It broke at between an exhaust port and coolant jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

I think I'm non-vanos, but now I'm doubtful since I don't have my car here to verify. I found a non-vanos for 750 about 3 hours from me but it has the same amount of milage mine did

95's were non vanos? hmmm..... idk much about that, we'll let those in the know chime in. I think Jon K has a non vanos motor though. but he might be building it

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Default don't want to be respnsible for your $700 purchase, but...

check anyway.... non vanos was done w/M50 in '92... '93 on was single vanos... I think '91 and earlier was strictly M20? But about 99.9% certain your '95 M50 is single vanos.... (the "TU" in the usual M50 nomenclature... but when they crack a head, "TU" means something else.... )
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

I have one (at least I think I do). Longblock with all acessories, 123000 when it was pulled. It ran strong when pulled. I will also though in a brand new bav auto radiator that was only used about 100 miles. I am looking at $1000 plus shipping from New Mexico(maybe phoneix az)

mIKE

yes it is a M50. 1995 525i is what the motor came out of

mIKE

Default Yours is definitely vanos

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeyesTx
    I think I'm non-vanos, but now I'm doubtful since I don't have my car here to verify. I found a non-vanos for 750 about 3 hours from me but it has the same amount of milage mine did

Thank you to all who replied and pm'd. After careful consideration of the shipping costs and distance and milage of the motors offered, I'll have to respectively decline. The shop my car is sitting at has found an M50 with 80k miles for about 1650 and she'll warranty it for a year after they check it out and install it. Also, thank you all for clarifying the prrodution years for VANOS vs. non, I was always curious about that. Now it looks like I'll have to wait about a week for my car and become 3300 dollars lighter in the wallet after tax, fluids and labor. Let's hope this one lasts another 76k (my motor is DOA at 156k, so 80k already there +76k = projected lifespan before catastrophe)