GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To give you guys a relative idea of how fast my car is now...

Default To give you guys a relative idea of how fast my car is now...

My friend graduated from college and bought himself a Mk5 GTI 2.0T - he has about 5k miles on it and bought the EIP tuning chip - for those of you who do not know, putting a chip on a factory turbo car gains you a lot of power typically - it ups the boost etc. So we were driving down a 4 lane highway* here and for shits we decided to open our cars up a little. I am usually very modest in driving my E34, but I decided what the hell, lets waste some fuel (at alarming rates). He gets on it and I get on it and immediately my revs rocket toward my 7800 rpm redline. I let off showing I had a bad start with bad bad clutch slip. Then we line up again, from about 60 mph again this time I start in 3rd gear - for those not aware, when you're in a lower ratio gear (4th and 5th, numerically low ratio) the turbo loads so much better and your boost builds faster... so naturally my chances of slipping the clutch in 3rd gear is less than 4th which is less than 5th (to be honest, wide open throttle above 5500 rpm in 4th and 5th is like revving in neutral in my car ) - so from third about 3k rpm or so, we go. He builds boost instantly from his KKK K03S turbo on his 20v 2.0T and my ginormous truck turbo isn't entirely there yet... but I grin thinking "wait for it...wait for it..." and then bang at around 3800 rpm the bitch really puts you in the seat and I rip not only up to his rear fender, but clear past him getting into 4th, enjoying 4th gear for about 5 - 6 secs (now at excessive speed with him a good portion behind me) and before the 5500 rpm "clutch kill" mark I let off. So yea, I smoked a EIP chipped Mk5 GTI 2.0T.

Doesn't sound like a big deal, right? I mean, a 4 cylinder 2.0L with a baby turbo on it... big deal! However... the EIP chip dynos 292 WHEEL TORQUE and 245+ WHEEL HP! And you might be inclined to say "yeah well 245 hp isn't all that much!" but what we're shoving cars forward with is torque, and 292 wheel torque IS a lot! Consider it further, his car comes in at 3000lbs and he has no rear seats, so prob around 2900lbs. My car comes in at what guys, 3600 lbs? Plus turbo and parts, plus carputer, subs, 3 amps, etc etc etc... 3850 lbs? I think it's safe to say that my car is putting down over 350 wheel torque... I am sure someone here can figure out the math and maybe ballpark better... but holy crap.

When I walked him initially I was like "eh big deal, 2.0L Turbo kill, nice but not that big a deal!" but then my buddy was like "bro, those dyno 292 wtq.." i was in disbelief. Here is the dyno for reference:

He also has an intake and I think an exhaust!

So now I am debating over do I put a clutch in now and not when I finish my 8.3:1 compression motor, or do I wait... I really want to dyno this thing!

* All driving performed on closed course, obviously.

Talent.
    You definately learned some **** somewhere that apperently is paying off bigtime, and I want a part of it lol... What did you read all these years, where did you learn? I have a friend here that's the same way, he won't ****ing tell me.
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesAFerg
    Talent.
    You definately learned some **** somewhere that apperently is paying off bigtime, and I want a part of it lol... What did you read all these years, where did you learn? I have a friend here that's the same way, he won't ****ing tell me.
    I don't know I am the same with computers, I just do stuff. I guess tinkering around and simply trying stuff - understanding concepts of what does and does not work, find the failing point in setups that do not work and change them so they do. I have a bunch of friends with high horsepower VWs and stuff but they for the most part had the cars built by someone - I guess you just need to understand how things work - how to better the points of what does work, and hope for the best. Its about 10% skill, 50% luck, and 40% having the balls to do it. I'm only 21 so I can't claim to have years of experience.

put in the clutch now. This way you can dyno "both" for comparison of what the turbo can actually do...plus you will have a little more fun a little sooner
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

what kind of clutch would you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Leaning toward a Spec stage 5

Time for a clutch, unless you plan on replacing the flywheel soon anyway. Keep on and you are gonna wind up stranded with either the whole thing welded together, or a kitty hair clutch.

Go ahead before you casue it to finish self destructing.

how close are you to finishing the low compression motor jon?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    I don't know I am the same with computers, I just do stuff. I guess tinkering around and simply trying stuff - understanding concepts of what does and does not work, find the failing point in setups that do not work and change them so they do. I have a bunch of friends with high horsepower VWs and stuff but they for the most part had the cars built by someone - I guess you just need to understand how things work - how to better the points of what does work, and hope for the best. Its about 10% skill, 50% luck, and 40% having the balls to do it. I'm only 21 so I can't claim to have years of experience.
    My buddy is the exact same way.

95 540iA: Euro Clears & More Mods to Come Soon!
    Sacramento, CA USA

I dont quite understand, when you get into really high revs, the clutch slips?
    You have so much power up there that the clutch wont hold?
    Or does it just rev past so fast that its useless?
    11/88 535iA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast