GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Engine running cold

Default Engine running cold

I just picked up a '93 525it with only 70,000 mi. I got reciepts showin all maintenance performed since day one. In fact the old gal had $6500 worth of work done on her @ 65K! Just one problem: the engine won't get up to operating temp. The temp in MN has not gotten above 10 since I got the car. I have been driving about 20 miles each way daily and the guage has not moved past the little blue square. The radiator, belts and hoses were replaced @ 65K. My guess would be thermostat and/or fan clutch but these usually cause overheating. Any ideas?

Default Thermostat

could be stuck open

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Yes, thermostat should be your first stop.

Welcome aboard

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Definetely replace the thermostat. I did mine last night and it solved the issue wonderfully. Its quick and easy and you wont really lose anything if thats not the problem.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Had a similar situation with my '92 535i/5spd. Ran cold and was getting little heat. Replaced the thermostat and found the the original, with only 65K miles,was broken. The top of the thermostat had broken in two and would not close.

Quote Originally Posted by kworben
    Had a similar situation with my '92 535i/5spd. Ran cold and was getting little heat. Replaced the thermostat and found the the original, with only 65K miles,was broken. The top of the thermostat had broken in two and would not close.
    Same here. I've owned 3 BMW's and when right the needle will be dead on straight up. Replace that thermostat.
    1994 530i

Woah guys, don't jump the gun on this one. It could very well be a t-stat, but let me ask this - do you have heat in the cabin? Does the gage move at all?

Theres a connector on the coolant temperature sensor that can get a bit of grease on it and cause the needle not to register, even though everything in the system is working fine. Mine was registering nothing, so I unhooked it and cleaned it, and now it works fine.

Just something to check before you tear into it.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Also a cold engine will wear the cylinder bores and piston rings in a quick hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by DanDombrowski
    Woah guys, don't jump the gun on this one. It could very well be a t-stat, but let me ask this - do you have heat in the cabin? Does the gage move at all?

Theres a connector on the coolant temperature sensor that can get a bit of grease on it and cause the needle not to register, even though everything in the system is working fine. Mine was registering nothing, so I unhooked it and cleaned it, and now it works fine.

Just something to check before you tear into it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Also a cold engine will wear the cylinder bores and piston rings in a quick hurry!
    Uh oh.........
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA