GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Window troubles

Default Window troubles

Hi

My drivers side window hasnt been working...the motor sounds when the button is pressed but the window goes nowhere. I took off the inner door pannel to take a look and the mechanical arms which lift and lower the window were not connected to the window. I tried to re-connect them but everytime I hit the button to move the window again, the nut that holds the arm to the window pops off. Are there any diagrams or pics of the proper way to reasemble these? There's a cotter pin there to I guess to hold the whole thing together better but I can seem to get that back in.

Any help suggestions much apprectiated

Nathan

Black 1995 525i 100K Mi
    Nat1

Default Those retainers aren't cotter pins, they are spring

clip retainers. When the arm pops out of the nylon slide and you push it back together, when you sqeeze it together you'll hear a click or pop and will think its seated in the socket. It's not.
    Squeeze it harder until you hear a second louder pop and it will be seated all the way. If it comes out again after this then you'll have to replace the nylon slide blocks that it snaps into.
    The squeeze you have to put on it is much harder than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by nmwaldron
    Hi

My drivers side window hasnt been working...the motor sounds when the button is pressed but the window goes nowhere. I took off the inner door pannel to take a look and the mechanical arms which lift and lower the window were not connected to the window. I tried to re-connect them but everytime I hit the button to move the window again, the nut that holds the arm to the window pops off. Are there any diagrams or pics of the proper way to reasemble these? There's a cotter pin there to I guess to hold the whole thing together better but I can seem to get that back in.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    clip retainers. When the arm pops out of the nylon slide and you push it back together, when you sqeeze it together you'll hear a click or pop and will think its seated in the socket. It's not.
    Squeeze it harder until you hear a second louder pop and it will be seated all the way. If it comes out again after this then you'll have to replace the nylon slide blocks that it snaps into.
    The squeeze you have to put on it is much harder than you think.
    Well, I pushed and got the 2nd pop...but they still come off...any idea where to find replacement sliders? I also cant remember how to fix the clip retainers in there properly.

Nathan

Black 1995 525i 100K Mi
    Nat1

you can get them at the stealer, last time I went I got extras for all the other windows to have them on hand, cost like 80 cents a peice.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by nmwaldron
    Hi

Nathan
    I've resolved that same problem with the old BMW trick (I got here at the forum)
    holding the button, just slam the door (hard) and bingo,,,thge passenger window is working again.
    Did not work for the driver window, but I took the panel and hit the motor with the scredriver handle (while holding the button)...and it works !!!

Seems like the motor got in to a position that need to be hit to start working again...I don't know the cause.
    replacing the motor also works...if you have to open the panel (the switch is fine)

for the back doors...I just left it like this. hardly ever I have a passenger there, and if I have one...is closed because the air conditioning.

good luck, spread this words ...fix the windows can be that easy !!!!
    Last edited by lvngdead; 09-17-2006 at 12:15 AM.
    Julio
    95 530i M60 engine, Manual trans.