GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel sending unit replacement problems

Default fuel sending unit replacement problems

okay, here's the story. i bought a used fuel sending unit. the fuel sending unit that i purchased used, was not disconnected from the fuel pump, the wires were cut. i decided to go ahead and cut my wires and splice the negative to the negative and positive to the positive. i used butt-connectors with plastic covering. now, after doing it i'm afraid to put it back together. i do not want the rubber to spark or the two wires to touch, what should i do?

lots of electrical tape?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

electrical tape + gasoline = bad.

if you are using gas without ethanol in it you shouldnt have any problems, but ethanol makes it conductive so i dunno there.

i would fill the little plastic thing with some kind of permatex silicone sealant thats solvent resistant.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Heat-shrink tubing.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Solder the wires and use heatshrink tubing. That would be the most secure way of making the connections.

i have heatshrink ready to be slid over the butt connectors. will the gas just eat up the heatshrink?

wire insulation and heat shrink are available for use in oil/gas applications.
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

Quote Originally Posted by hatched91
    i have heatshrink ready to be slid over the butt connectors. will the gas just eat up the heatshrink?
    Strip, solder and shrink. Don't bodge it, this is not a place you want to mess. Even if you get a dodgey gauge (or just the perception of one) you'll always be blaming corrosion in your connector. Do it properly and be done with it is my advice. Nuff said.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

where would i obtian some gas proof heat shrink? i have some already as you can see in the picture that is pulled up above the connection, but i do not believe it is gas-resistance or gas proof.

Butt splices are the only type of connector approved for aviation (witch are as strong or stronger that the wire). solder has a tendency to brake, if it was me i would call it good at that.

i

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast