GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Brakes

Default Brakes

Last night was driving about 90mph in left lane, minimal traffic. Approaching a gas station on my left that is located in between the east and west traffic lanes. Further up the road, there is a lane leaving the station that puts the station customer into the left lane. Out of no where, I see the rear park lights of a car about 100 yards in front of me illuminate and the car is moving very slow. I slammed the brakes and looked quickly into the pass side mirror only to find another car approaching real close - no chance to change lane. Well, I ended up stopping within 5 feet of this ass in front of me. What does he do next? He quickly zips across 3 lanes to take the immediate exit.

Thank goodness these cars came equipped with excellent brakes.
    Support your American Flag Merchant Marine
    No BMW at this time, eyeing a 91 318iS. 00 Saab 9-5, 89 Bronco XLT, 05 Kawi Z1k, 00 Ducati 748S Bip

Just hope the guy behind you has brakes that are better or as good as yours, ask my wife how she knows this fact. $3800 later and her car gets out of the shop on Tuesday. She drives an E39, the model she drives has what's called Dynamic Braking. If the computer senses a panic stop, such as a hard jab to the brake pedal, 10 times the pressure is added by the brake system to help stop the car.....RIGHT NOW. Trouble is, the joker following too close behind you doesn't stand a chance.

I was thinking about that when i got my ceramic brakes, it would just increase the likelyness of a rearending, and eventhough you wont be at fault, you will be greatly inconvenienced.

Tell me about it....she's been bitchin' about this POS rental car...Calibre? Plus she's got 3 buldging discs in her neck and numbness in her hand. The car behind her hit her at about 40-45 mph, then the car behind that car collided with the inital car and it hit her again! The damage looked like the bumper cover was distorted and torn a little, pushing it in toward the rear of the car about 3"....but the frame rails in the back of the car had started to accordian buckle, just like they are supposed to do. The other cars were towed away, she drove herself 3 blocks to the hospital. This is one of the major reasons we drive BMW's. I would hate to think what would happen if she had been in that rental vehicle.

In Australia, if someone hits you from behind, its their fault.
    No matter how fast you stop, its never your fault unless you did it with malice intent (no idea how they prove this).
    11/88 535iA

I think "malice intent" is only a criminal issue. regardless if some hits u from behind, in civil matter terms and ctp insurance terms ur never at fault.

Hence the reason that po' folk like to get 4 people in some beat ass car and slam on the brakes in front of a benz, and then they all claim neck and back injuries. See it all the time doing automotive forensics.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Diesel
    Last night was driving about 90mph in left lane, minimal traffic. Approaching a gas station on my left that is located in between the east and west traffic lanes. Further up the road, there is a lane leaving the station that puts the station customer into the left lane. Out of no where, I see the rear park lights of a car about 100 yards in front of me illuminate and the car is moving very slow. I slammed the brakes and looked quickly into the pass side mirror only to find another car approaching real close - no chance to change lane. Well, I ended up stopping within 5 feet of this ass in front of me. What does he do next? He quickly zips across 3 lanes to take the immediate exit.

Thank goodness these cars came equipped with excellent brakes.

were you on the palisades? 'cause that same thing happened to me tonight on the way home from the city. it was absurd, i was so happy to have brakes that bring a ~4000lb car from 90mph+ to 20mph very very fast

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.