GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible 635csi Purchase

Default Possible 635csi Purchase

I realize that this is a 5 series forum, but I have received so much good information here that I am looking for more. Hopefully there is some familiarity with the 635i as well.

I have a chance to buy an '87 635csi pretty cheaply. The car is a 5-speed with 133k on the clock. The body is good, with a (very) little surface rust on one fender, and the front air dam is damaged and needs to be replaced. The interior is very good and all the electric options work except one of the power headrests.

I am familiar with the powertrain, as it's essentially identical to my '90 535i. I am looking for information as to what else I should be looking for. What are the weak points of the car and what is the general consensus as to what the car is worth.

Thanks,
    - Hal
    - Hal

1995 325i 5-speed, 113K - Now

1984 325e 5-Speed, 2001 325i 5-Speed, 1995 530i 5-Speed, 1989 535iA, 1997 540i 6-Speed, 1990 535i 5-Speed, 1996 328is 5-Speed - Past

Default Front window trim

I see most of them have rust at the lower edge

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

I had an '87 635csi. There are a few things antiquated, compared to the e34. F'rinstance, the ac systems don't cut it in Texas heat, even with the rear console ducts & fridge. There's about 3 times the wiring of the e34 & the fuse box of an '87 is from an era passed.
    They are very fun cars with a 5 speed. Manual seats are much better than the comfort seats.
    If I didn't have kids, I would still have my 6er, or something equally as sporty, or handsome.
    Last edited by Martin in Bellevue; 09-07-2006 at 10:05 PM. Reason: forgot the picture.
    erased due to slander

I have just recently gotten interested in the sharks. I really wanted to go to sharkfest in Montery this year but decided I would try to learn more about them and go next year.

I am embarrassed to say that I was reading about them on wikipedia which said the later ones, like the year you are looking at have better torque.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E24

Here is a German site that has some technical specs.
    http://www.e-24.ru/

Here is the response someone got to the same question as yours on another board

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/th...24337&tstart=0

And finally, here are some picture that made my heart say "must have one".
    Open links at your own risk.

http://bigcoupe.com/events/psf/

http://www.pacificsharkfest.com/pics/Thumbnails.html

No clue on price. There was a pristine one for sale at bimmerfest for $11,000. I am lucky it was auto or it would have come home with me and my husband would have killed me.

Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

check out here, there are the experts and owners
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e24/

Here is a German site that has some technical specs.
    Gayle, that is a Russian site, not German

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    check out here, there are the experts and owners
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e24/

Gayle, that is a Russian site, not German
    If it is not English, it is German to me.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Ah I knew it! E34 and E39 owners have a thing for the older 6ers too. I knew I couldn't be the only one. It has a sporty modern look in the front still.. but kind of a strange older look in the back. I toyed with the idea of modernizing the rear somehow. I think I came up with trying a different set of tail-lights back there maybe an led set with cleaner lenses.

Most problems I hear or actually see on these is paint oxidation and rust. Most rust I see is around the doors, and basically where the water gets kicked up by the tires on all 4 corners. I think they look hot, and being a good sized 2 door is another bonus. Several I've seen on ebay have motor swaps for the 3.5 used in mid 90s E34's. I think if you could find one that's been converted with the proper electrics for a good price, that'd be a pretty sweet ride. My only vice with them is the side profile with the windows. They look proportionally huge and kinda strange.

There's an E24 in back to the future 2, it's the bud (buzz?) dude's futuristic car, with some lame body kit on it.
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

Default ive had 4 6 series and i know them pretty well

ive had a 83, two 86, and a 89, 88 or 89 are the best, 83 and up ride on the e28 frame, 77 through 82 ride on the e12, 635 came out in 85, 3.5 engine but cars also got heavier, 88 and 89 they had a lot of inprovements, bigger engine, faired bumpers and elptical headlights and foglights, also all leather interior like a L6, which was only sold in 87, there great cars, very easy to work on and share many parts with e28. at 80 or 90 miles a hour rock solid, buy a western car, no rust, if it has trx tires make the seller take a thousanf dollars off, thats about how much it will cost to replace them and there outdated, was voted by automobile mag as one of the 50 greatest cars of all time, im already looking for another.

Rust is the main issue on the ones around here, Chicago, and the rubber ends of the bumbers. Mechanically it's a two door 7.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast