GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower control arms - Shimmy potential ??

Default Lower control arms - Shimmy potential ??

I am running out of ideas on this front end shimmy. Did thrust rod bushings this week - still no resolve.

At 55mph I get this ever so slight vibration - its amplified with the 17" wheels.It almost feels like its in the seat/shifter not the steering.

I know that the lower control arms are original on the car - they are not clunking but at 200,000 miles I wonder if they could be causing the shimmy.

D.-
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

If you are feeling this in the seat then yes, your problem is likely in the back.
    Does the ass end seem to squirm around at speed? What about when on and off throttle?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

No - everything about the car drives ok. I have already done sub frame bushings, rear rotors, rear half shafts and a drive shaft. The only things left at the rear are the shock mounts. diff mount and the diff itselt. There is no clunking anywhere in the car.
    Derek A.

Is it a shimmy or a vibration? Felt at the wheel? seat? Shifter?
    Same frequency in all gears? What do you mean amplified with the 17" wheels?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default hum...

...along w/the driveshafe/driveline you do have a center support bearing and a guibo... but w/those miles lower control arms wouldn't hurt...in fact they cleared my shimmey AFTER having installed new Lem upper arms... but now... about 10K miles later, my shimmey has started again, ever so slight... could also consider tie rods, etc, but if you think it's not in the front may look elsewhere as you've already done.... good luck, wish I could be more conclusive.
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Default wheels

Have you checked your wheels to see if they're balanced? Similarly, have you checked your tires to make sure they're "round?" Both could cause vibration or shimmy.

4 sets of wheels and tires on the car. Last set fully balanced before they went on the car. Right at the 55mph mark - you can just start to feel something. Tech says the front end feels fine. I am just suspect on those control arms as they are still factory.
    Derek A.

replace them and you will have no doubt
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek A.
    4 sets of wheels and tires on the car. Last set fully balanced before they went on the car. Right at the 55mph mark - you can just start to feel something. Tech says the front end feels fine. I am just suspect on those control arms as they are still factory.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I had front shimmy, coming through the seats (not the steering wheel), and new front brake discs fixed it. If your brake discs aren't spanking new then you might want to try changing them.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I had front shimmy, coming through the seats (not the steering wheel), and new front brake discs fixed it. If your brake discs aren't spanking new then you might want to try changing them.
    Was that only under braking ?
    Derek A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast