GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Replace water pump w/ radiator?

Default Replace water pump w/ radiator?

Since I am up to 133k miles on the apparently original radiator, it seems prudent to change it before it dies on the freeway and takes my engine with it. I plan to change all the hoses as well. Question is, how long do the original water pumps last in the 540i's? Should I plan on changing it as well? On the E28 I used to change the water pump every other timing belt change (~120k mi) since it was behind the belt and it seemed like cheap ($30) insurance just to avoid having to pull the front end out again.

I have searched for 540i AND radiator and do not see a ton of advice about when to change the rad, but since it has a plastic neck and is more than 12 years old, it seems like advisable preventative maintenance. I would rather spend the money to replace a pump which may make it another 20K miles, just to be able to do it at my leisure rather than pay for towing (nearly the price of the pump around here), but what is the expected life on this part? Also, I seem to recall I put a Graf pump in the Mercedes; is this the best alternative in the 540i?
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

It would be foolish not to change the pump.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

My radiator died at about 138,000 miles and the water pump at about 142,000 miles. A hose leaked started leaking at about 143,000 miles - I agree that it's prudent to change these things before you get stranded (I was very lucky not to get stuck in the Highlands of Scotland!).