GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken gas door?

Default Broken gas door?

Well, got out of my car to fuel up after leaving class one day, and when I got around to the back I realized that my gas door was hanging all crooked. At first glance I definitely thought somebody smacked/pulled the **** out of it, but it appears the plastic just cracked.

Has this happened to anyone else? Should I replace the whole plastic piece, or you guys think some Gorilla glue will do the trick?

Thanks,
    - Jeremy

P.S. Also still the possibility somebody could have been trying to siphon a few gallons
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

I hear they go often. Mine stayed open for a few days after i got it. Now it won't stay open. Its not a major inconvenience so i haven't replaced it.I read it is as would be expected, a cheap , easy fix to replace the door.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

The fuel door hinge died on my husband's 90 525 that had 200,000 miles when we sold it. Thought I had a link for the part for you but must have deleted it. It seems like it was less than $20 bucks. Not having that door close flush always looked tacky in my opinion.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    The fuel door hinge died on my husband's 90 525 that had 200,000 miles when we sold it. Thought I had a link for the part for you but must have deleted it. It seems like it was less than $20 bucks. Not having that door close flush always looked tacky in my opinion.
    Yeah, it's really bothering me

BTW, are you just running an eisenmann muffler with otherwise stock exhaust? I was using your exhaust thread for research but I can't find it anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMPower

BTW, are you just running an eisenmann muffler with otherwise stock exhaust? I was using your exhaust thread for research but I can't find it anymore...
    Yes. It has a very growly sound. I replaced the resonator at the same time and the resonator is so effective you can hardly hear the exhaust in the passanger compartment. I love how the car sounds when the valet parkers drive it off and my husband loves how it sounds when I pull in the garage. But driving the car, the only time I hear the exhuast is when I am decelerating.

I picked the eisenmann on the 3 bears theory. I thought the supersprint would be too quiet and the tri flow would be too loud and the eisenmann would be just right. It turned out to be a little quieter than I thought, but I think if I had not replaced the resonator it would be perfect for my taste.

Solicting input on the exhaust

Installation
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Do NOT use Gorilla glue, epoxy, or any adhesive for that matter. Just replace the hinge. Its inexpensive and usually available for immediate purchase at the dealer. The PO of my car used glue to put attach the door to the hinge. Not only was it crooked, but it took the body shop some effort to clean all the glue off during the repainting. New hinge was about 15 bucks and 10 minutes of installation labor on my behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Rus
    Do NOT use Gorilla glue, epoxy, or any adhesive for that matter. Just replace the hinge. Its inexpensive and usually available for immediate purchase at the dealer. The PO of my car used glue to put attach the door to the hinge. Not only was it crooked, but it took the body shop some effort to clean all the glue off during the repainting. New hinge was about 15 bucks and 10 minutes of installation labor on my behalf.
    Thanks, this was EXACTLY what I wanted to hear

Anyone know how many clips there are for each door panel? (might as well scoop them up while I'm at the stealer)

check realoem.com. I'm not in any state of mind to figure out how to do screen shots to paste. It's pretty straight forward to get the clips. I have to get new clips for mine as well, as the body shop that fixed my car after my accident conviently forgot to add the clips. it shouldn't be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

I have a limited supply of brand new OEM fuel filler door hinges:

$10 ea. + $3 postage, PayPal happily accepted:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/for_sale.htm
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I have a limited supply of brand new OEM fuel filler door hinges:

$10 ea. + $3 postage, PayPal happily accepted:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/for_sale.htm
    lol, awesome.

$$$$ sent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast