GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 530i - Battery Replacement

Default 530i - Battery Replacement

Hello-
    I posted a thread here about my 95 530i not starting about 2 weeks ago. Thank you to the folks that responded as I did get my BMW to start after removing the backseat and jumping the battery. Many thanks.

Next question, after driving without stopping for about 30 minutes I stopped the car and when I went to turn it back on after 15 minutes it would not start. So, jumped it again thanks to a local good samartian and got it running again.

I want to replace the battery as it seems to be on its last legs.

1) Can I replace with a non-BMW brand battery?
    2) Do I need to buy any specifics (ie. I know I need a 12v)... size? shape? amps? etc?
    3) Stupid question, but.... how do I actually remove the battery from the compartment? Its in there, and I have removed the brace that holds it in, but it doesn't seem to want to come out. Does it come out at an angle? Is there part of the seat assemblage (the steel reinforcing bar) that needs to come apart?

Thanks for all your help.

I've had good luck with Autozone's "Duralast" batteries. Their size 49-D fits the e32/e34 perfectly and comes with the vent tube & fittings. Be sure to connect the vent tube & make sure it goes thru the floor pan without getting pinched. To remove the battery, unscrew the clamp at the rear of the battery, slide the battery rearward as far as it will go, and then tilt it to clear the seat base. Newer batteries come with a plastic handle built into them and makes the job easier.

I know it's a pain to take the seat out to check the acid level but I prefer the old style batteries that have removable caps for topping off, I check it about once a year. I think the top of the line Duralast (and other brands?) are permanently sealed, but they still evaporate off the water & will die if they dry out.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

i managed to stuff an optima red top under there, although the seat doesnt want to go down all the way now... doesnt bother me because i get better mileage with it out.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue