GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Auto Trans Noise

Default Auto Trans Noise

1995 525i, automatic, 111,000 miles

I've searched everything I could find on auto transmissions and associated problems, and did not see anything that was exactly like my situation.

My e34 seems to shift just fine, but today it develop a noise/rubbing sound when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. This is the only gear change that it does it (at this point), and it only on the upshift between these gears. Light load is more noticieable, harder acceleration and it is less noticable.

I can feel this rubbing on the gear shifter as it happens. Plenty of power during acceleration, with no slippage I can detect. The 3 to 4 shift is perfect.

Is thismore likely a trans issue or something in the driveshaft - maybe the flex joint, or u-joints possibly?

I've tried to provide as much info as I can, but let me know if there is something more specific I should mention to help narrow doen the issue.

I'm going to take it to an indy tomorrow and get it checked out, but was hoping for some ideas, so I can minimize the risk of getting screwed. I jsut moved to this area and do not have a shop that I trust yet.

Thanks for the help!

Default Its the flex coupling starting to come apart, drive the car very gently until

you take it to a shop to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by CBC
    1995 525i, automatic, 111,000 miles

I've searched everything I could find on auto transmissions and associated problems, and did not see anything that was exactly like my situation.

My e34 seems to shift just fine, but today it develop a noise/rubbing sound when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. This is the only gear change that it does it (at this point), and it only on the upshift between these gears. Light load is more noticieable, harder acceleration and it is less noticable.

I can feel this rubbing on the gear shifter as it happens. Plenty of power during acceleration, with no slippage I can detect. The 3 to 4 shift is perfect.

Is thismore likely a trans issue or something in the driveshaft - maybe the flex joint, or u-joints possibly?

I've tried to provide as much info as I can, but let me know if there is something more specific I should mention to help narrow doen the issue.

I'm going to take it to an indy tomorrow and get it checked out, but was hoping for some ideas, so I can minimize the risk of getting screwed. I jsut moved to this area and do not have a shop that I trust yet.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks Bill. I just received a call from the shop and they said it was the "clutch pack" going bad. Does that sound like a possibility? Since today is a holiday, it will be tomorrow before they can get pricing for repair/replacement.

I guess I may be lucky in the fact this is a GM trans. Maybe the cost will not be quite as bad.

On that note, what would you roughly guess this will cost? I was certainly hoping the flex coupling would be the problem and not something internal with the trans.

Thanks for the help.

Default I wouldn't think you could feel a clutch pack going bad through

the shifter on the other had , the flex coupling or guibo you will feel it in the floor/shifter area when its coming apart enought that the frayed pieces are hitting the tunnel under the shifter. And the flex coupling usually is noticable at between 28 to 45 mph right about the time your trans would be shifting ... the only other indicator that i've noticed when a guibo is going bad is that it does it worst when the car is cold and not as bad after the car warms up.

The first few times you take off in the morning and hit around mph it will do it but after 5 miles or so it lessens

Quote Originally Posted by CBC
    Thanks Bill. I just received a call from the shop and they said it was the "clutch pack" going bad. Does that sound like a possibility? Since today is a holiday, it will be tomorrow before they can get pricing for repair/replacement.

I guess I may be lucky in the fact this is a GM trans. Maybe the cost will not be quite as bad.

On that note, what would you roughly guess this will cost? I was certainly hoping the flex coupling would be the problem and not something internal with the trans.

Thanks for the help.