GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Right Side Headlight (lows) not working?

Default Right Side Headlight (lows) not working?

Bit of a strange one, it seems that the right headlight has lost power and isnt getting any power sent over to it.

I thought it'd be the LKM as apparently the relay dies out but if i manually push the relay the left headlight gets power but right doesnt, other relays for fogs (front/rear) and highbeams also work just no right low beam headlight.

Any suggestions? And yes have checked fuses and also at fuse point for Right headlight is no power coming to it as well.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated guys.

The solder joints on the relays in the LKM are notorious for being bad, best thing to do is just resolder the joints, and it should work OK. I've fixed 4 of these things now, and it's always been the same problem

John

Pics of my E34 M5 -> http://www.jrobbo.com/M5

Quote Originally Posted by fuzion
    I thought it'd be the LKM as apparently the relay dies out but if i manually push the relay the left headlight gets power but right doesnt
    It's not usually the relays themselves that die, but the solder connections of the relays to the circuit board. I'd try resoldering the relays to the board. If that doesn't work, get out the voltmeter and start tracing.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Quote Originally Posted by jrobbo
    The solder joints on the relays in the LKM are notorious for being bad, best thing to do is just resolder the joints, and it should work OK. I've fixed 4 of these things now, and it's always been the same problem

John

hey, yeah that was my initial thoughts so i yoinked it out and resoldered the joints on it again as you mentioned. chucked it in and still nothing happening.

the left side headlight works fine, rhd headlight not happening at all. and even fuse 11 i think it was or whatever it was isn't getting power to it either. So no actual power is getting there for some reason..

Any other suggestions?

that means there is a fault at the switch or a break in the wire upstram of that fuse
    Gone but not forgotten

paul,

yeah i figured that much. got the car for a few days so ill check it out hopefully soon.. give me a chance to put eyes in too i spose..