GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DISC ERROR - Factory changer

Default DISC ERROR - Factory changer

So my factory 6 disc changer started showing this on the display yesterday. It says it for every CD.... could the laser be dirty, I looked at the connections in the trunk, but everything looked fine. Anyone have any ideas or know what it could be?

From what I've seen/heard, that means that the changer is farked. Have you been able to get the cartridge out of the changer??

I've heard of folks who have had these things repaired, but the price is usually >= a new changer/headunit.

Bret.

That sucks... I guess it will be the radio for the drive from Philly to WI later today.

And yes, the cartridge came out just fine.

I'm assuming it has been working before this........., but if it hasn't, are you sure you are putting the cds in correctly?
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Quote Originally Posted by Fetch
    I'm assuming it has been working before this........., but if it hasn't, are you sure you are putting the cds in correctly?
    Yes, it says error for every disc. It just happened about two days ago when I was coming home from a friends place.

Mine did the same thing about a month ago. Tried cleaning lens but no go. Just stopped playing in the middle of a CD.

I was going to send it out to be fixed. The link (recommended by another member here) will take you to a place that will fix 'em for around $125.00 flat fee. I couldn't find anyone local that would touch it for that.

http://www.willmanselectronics.com/bmw.htm

I did not end up using them, I bought an almost new unit from one of the members here for $100. So now I have some spare parts.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyn
    So my factory 6 disc changer started showing this on the display yesterday. It says it for every CD.... could the laser be dirty, I looked at the connections in the trunk, but everything looked fine. Anyone have any ideas or know what it could be?
    I got the same error and my changer died shortly thereafter. Had to take the thing aport to get my cd's out. Bought an IPOD, Alpine deck and IPOD adapter and the rest is history.

Michael
    Mustbr8kfree
    1995 525i, Shadowline,EAT chip, Alpine

I got the same error message with my CD changer for a while, and then it went away one day and never came back. I did not clean the changer, or do any maintenence at all... so don't lose hope. I remember when I got the error message being able to hear the clicking from the trunk of the changer trying to read the CD, then not hearing it when the message went away. I don't have any other info for you, but I hope this helps a little bit.

The BMW unit is a re-badged Alpine multi cd unit. Buy an Alpine one and it's a straight fit. Some say it sounds better too?
    BMW E39 528i SE 1999
    BMW E34 525iA SE 1992
    BMW E34 535i SE 1988
    BMW E28 525i
    BMW E24 628 CSi

http://web.mac.com/johnstjohn1

Don't tempt fate, slap it and then taunt it!!

The BMW unit is a re-badged Alpine multi cd unit. Buy an Alpine one and it's a straight fit. Some say it sounds better too?
    I just had this happen, and that is not always true, some are pioneer. IF you have a pioneer, and you have the blue plug going into your CD player, you have three options. CDX-M90, CDX-M91, and CDX-M60. The power cords may need a bit of splicing, but the data plug will match up.

If this is what you have, then you have to either repair/have it repaired, or get a used one. I checked with Pioneer directly, and they do not currently make anything that is a direct plug in for this set up.
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

If it has **** or tires, you are going to have problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast