GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ::.. Double-clutching to pass...

Default ::.. Double-clutching to pass...

::.. Double-clutching to pass...

Let's try and settle an argument I'm having.

Scenario in short... going 120kph, you want to drop to 3rd to pass. This should land you nicely in the power band. So...

I reckon that it's much quicker (and smoother) to double-clutch and accel to pass... rather than just a 'simple' downshift to 3rd and pass.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: of course it looks a lot better if you double-clutch so you seemingly get power out of no where (no shock or otherwise jerking).
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Yes, that's how I drive when I drive a manual... less wear and tear on everything. When you depress the clutch, you don't step all the way in... sort of halfway to allow you to shift gear. Every car is different so the amount you have to depress varies. As little as possible without jamming the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Yes, that's how I drive when I drive a manual... less wear and tear on everything. When you depress the clutch, you don't step all the way in... sort of halfway to allow you to shift gear. Every car is different so the amount you have to depress varies. As little as possible without jamming the gear.
    x2 except i usually depress the clutch fully, after a while you notice that you can rush the clutch action a bit, so it may not be fully out when in neutral.
    i don't know about faster. but it certainly feels more natural when you double clutch not like you are doing something the car doesn't want to do.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

No use double clutching just clutch in rev match and let clutch out. Did I tell you guys I walked an E46 M3 on the highwasy this afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    No use double clutching just clutch in rev match and let clutch out. Did I tell you guys I walked an E46 M3 on the highwasy this afternoon
    ^^2nd...and I bet the driver of the M3 didnt expect to be walked lol

I used to do this in both my E30s.

95 540iA: Euro Clears & More Mods to Come Soon!
    Sacramento, CA USA

This thread is really confusing me.
    What exactly do you mean a simple shift vs. a double clutch shift?
    You should be rev matching anyway , so there would be no jerks with either shift 'type'.
    Double clutching is different than rev matching.

Also I don't understand another person refering to double clutching as pushing the clutch down only to disengage it, instead of all the way down. That's fine, & faster to shift, but never heard it called double clutching.

Double clutching is:
    5th gear, clutch in, neutral gear, clutch out, rev match for 3rd gear, clutch in, 3rd gear, clutch out.

My definition of 'simple' would be (and this is how I normally drive):
    5th gear, clutch in, while changing gears revmatch for 3rd gear, 3rd gear, clutch out.

Go ahead and tell me if I'm wrong. But I'm never wrong. (haha)
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Quote Originally Posted by Fetch
    You should be rev matching anyway , so there would be no jerks with either shift 'type'.

Also I don't understand another person refering to double clutching as pushing the clutch down only to disengage it, instead of all the way down. That's fine, & faster to shift, but never heard it called double clutching.

Double clutching is:
    5th gear, clutch in, neutral gear, clutch out, rev match for 3rd gear, clutch in, 3rd gear, clutch out.

5th gear, clutch in, while changing gears revmatch for 3rd gear, 3rd gear, clutch out.

of course you are right. but in order to get double clutching to work you don't really need to let the clutch all the way out in neutral.
    anyway its personal preference, i try and double clutch on all downshifts. if you don't want to then don't....... but IMO if i wanted the fastest shifts possible i'd get a crash or dog box.
    I think my gearbox had a hard life prior to my ownership so i am trying to extend the synchro's life by double clutching.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Simple would just be feathering the clutch out and let it slip to the appropriate rev... letting the synchro do the work. You know, like how most of the world shifts *gasp* :|

Quote Originally Posted by Fetch

Double clutching is:

:: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

I push the clutch in enough to disengage it when I'm shifting, but am I correct to assume I am saving some of the syncros' work when I rev match without double clutching? Because that is 50% of the reason I do it, the other 50% is because I like quick smooth shifts, unlike how a lot of people I know shift manuals.
    Or does that mostly just save clutch wear?

And double clutching saves clutch and syncro wear then
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast