GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the name of 'windshield stripper'?

Default What is the name of 'windshield stripper'?

I have what I think is industrial grunge on my windshield that I cannot remove with normal glass cleaner. I seem to recall seeing some professional windshield stripper on a DIY show about 10 years ago that cautioned not to get any on the paint. I do not remember the name of this stuff. Anyone?
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

Have you already tried Ajax/Comet/Barkeeper's Friend? That stuff worked in gently with water and a kitchen sponge always does the trick for me, even after 5 years of sitting in an outdoor lot untouched.

regular old steel wool...
    I **** you not,
    it won't scratch the glass, but will remove all crap on there.
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

While this topic is open, if i need a windshield are the regular local glass shops the source are can anything that will last more than one winter here in new england without getting so pitted from sand blast that you have limited visibility heading into any sunlight? I've always gotten glass from the local place who'll come out in a van and replace it in my driveway but they seem to have very soft coating , it'd be nice not to have to replace the windshield every year or two just to be able to see.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

try brake cleaner heh.

thats THE defacto industrial solvent... make sure you use the unchlorinated one.

also, prestone bug and tar remover (or stoner tarmin-x) works good on a lot of stuff.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

I just gave it a good workout with Barkeepers Friend since I had some in the cabinet. If it needs more after I get it in the afternoon sun tomorrow, I will try the steel wool. Will the steel wool work out minor pitting? EDIT: I just saw Jehu's post. Gee, this car came from Boston. New windshield?
    Last edited by zhandax; 08-27-2006 at 11:19 PM.
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

I have that **** on my windshield as well. Thanks for the tips guys!

95 540iA: Euro Clears & More Mods to Come Soon!
    Sacramento, CA USA

Default a little BonAmi works great, leaves a "RainX" type effect too....

...and keeps the crud from buiding up, waterspots off, etc... doesn't scratch, cost about 50 cents, put on gently w/a worn out green scotch pad.
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Bon Ami - it's always worked for me.

Now, replacement widnshields - other than thickness, I don't think there's any difference. Check with a local indy shop to see who they think is a reliable installer. They should give you the straight skinny on what's the best bang for your buck - but, installation is the real issue. Get someone who knows what they're doing and will take the time to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    try brake cleaner heh.

thats THE defacto industrial solvent... make sure you use the unchlorinated one.

also, prestone bug and tar remover (or stoner tarmin-x) works good on a lot of stuff.
    yeah, this works pretty well with a bit of elbow grease...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast