GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95 540i with 157k - Recommend buying?

Default 95 540i with 157k - Recommend buying?

Hi, I'm new to the forum but not new to owning(and loving) BMW's. I previously owned a 89 325is which was in immaculate shape when I sold it with 213k miles on it. I loved the car but it was too small for me (i'm 6'5) and though I tolerated this at first it began to give me neck and back problems after a while. So, since selling that and owning a series of mediocre cars, I've been yearning to get back behind the wheel of a bimmer. I started looking and came across the following BMW 540i. It's a 6-speed which is a huge plus and it's Black, which would be my first choice of colors. The car is located about 30 minutes away and I'm going to look at it tomorrow or the day after. I apologize for the lengthy preamble but here are my main questions:

1. I am aware of the nikasil/alusil issue but have read conflicting reports as to whether this was fixed in the 95 models or not. Can someone give a more clear answer as to whether this car would have come out of the factory with a nikasil or alusil cylinder coatings?

2. Assuming that the engine isn't a nikasil how many more miles could I expect to get out of it since it already has 157k (assuming the engine wasn't replaced somewhere along the line; something I'll have to find out). Assuming the car was reasonably well maintained can I expect it to last well into the 200's like my E30's straight 6 did? If the engine hasn't been replaced and is a nikasil should that raise a red flag(i.e. their mechanic told them the engine was on it's last legs so they dumped the car).

3. Is this a good price for the car from what you can tell? I know KBB is much higher but on all the auto sites i've looked at 95 540i's are going for about the same price. I'm a pretty good haggler; would it be a good deal at 5k, 4k?

I know i'm asking alot of questions without providing alot of information but I've been scouring the net for the last two days for information and I feel like i'm running around in circles. Any advice from someone with experience with this model/year/engine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
    Vermagnussen

I've only had mine for about 6,000 miles so far. I learned it had the Nikisil block switched at about 89,000 miles and it has 136,000 now.It shows no signs of which I'm aware of the least indication of any failure.It couldn't have felt or sounded much stronger the day it was installed.It did come with the M-Tech sport suspension and some aftermarket light allow wheels and the leather is in great shape so i paid $9,200.00.Others who've owned the 540 up into that high mileage territory will hopefully be able to put a lifespan to it.I've seen Alusil M60 engines selling for about $6K i think so it may be worth it to pay more for a lower mileage car in better shape if that's possible. The test drive should make you aware of what you're dealing with. Idle should be smooth , steady, no ticking or rapping, no smoke from the tailpipe.Check for fluids under the car where its been parked.I've heard people claim over 200,000 miles of worry free health in these engines.I tend to believe its certainly possible.I have a Chevy V8 In a '99 express van that has over 365,000 now and still putting out lots of horsepower.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Default Re: 95 540i with 157k - Recommend buying?

Thanks for the quick reply and the good info Jehu. I've noticed that the dealer claims this is a one owner car (good if true) and also the carfax report shows a series of vehicle services in close succession:

02/04/1999 70,587 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
    09/13/1999 80,461 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
    10/27/1999 81,838 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
    11/26/1999 82,844 Service Facility Vehicle serviced

Makes me wonder if this was the engine being replaced...or an accident. Since the site provides the car's VIN is there anyway I can get a hold of the car's full service record and find out for sure? Something tells me the guys at the dealership won't know.

Thanks,
    Vermagnussen

I called BMW North America's main customer service number with the VIN and asked them to tell me if they had record of the Alusil swap. They kindly confirmed it had and also told me all other recall servive had been performed as well.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

good deal all tghe way altho Nikasil doesnt scare me, expect at least 300k without doing much of anything besides maintenance.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The short block has 70k mi. and it's a manual? WTF are you waiting for? Budget an extra $1000, read up on bruno's, and when you get it, replace the following when you get around to it: Rotors and pads, radiator, belts and waterpump, PCV valve, intake gaskets, control arms, AFM boot assembly and (maybe) the fan clutch. If you maintain it and don't crash it in the snow/ice (like I did), it will give you another 200k mi easy.

Good luck
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

If it is still running strong, idles fine, and starts easy than nikasil is not an issue. Don't be worried if the idle is a little lumpy, it's that cam in the M60. Best to get a compression test done at the very least anyways though. That is a pretty good price. From what I've seen the 6 speeds are worth about $2-3k more than an auto all things the same. You may have a dealer here who doesn't realize what he's got in the 6M.

$6,000 is a great deal for a 540i/6. Where would you happen to be located? Jt540i is in Reston and I am in DC. We both have 540/6 and I'd be happy to look at the car with you. I am sure John would be willing as well.

It's about $266 for a leakdown test.

Does it come with a folder of repairs? It'd be nice to know what's been done, because there are items that are "must replace" at some point. At 157k some of the big ticket ones may have already been done.

I drove 1100 miles for mine, so location shouldn't be a factor in your decision making...hard to carve it out I know, but repair history should come first.

good luck

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    It's about $266 for a leakdown test.

Does it come with a folder of repairs? It'd be nice to know what's been done, because there are items that are "must replace" at some point. At 157k some of the big ticket ones may have already been done.

I drove 1100 miles for mine, so location shouldn't be a factor in your decision making...hard to carve it out I know, but repair history should come first.

good luck

Repair history is over rated. I have owned 3 e34 and I have the history on none of them. The first one i got from auction. Second from orginal owners and the dealer cleared the computer so the history was lost and the thrid one I only got the history on the last repair they owner had. I use to value them and the honda I had came with a huge book of repairs and that turned out to be a money pit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast