GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scraped up my rear bumper

Default Scraped up my rear bumper

In too much of a hurry i used a semi circular driveway to turn about which was on too steep of an angle and i scraped the bottom edge of the bumper all the way across. Its just visible when approaching the car from the back. It so happened that the person who's house i was looking for , to which i was heading when i U-turned in that driveway owned a '71, i think he said, BMW 2002 with a front lip spoiler. He told me when i mentioned my unfortunate asphalt scrape that 400 grit sandpaper lightly by hand would get it smooth and then just the correct touch up paint would make it good as new. Is this about right?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

hard to make out , show a pic of the damage

Quote Originally Posted by Robke
    hard to make out , show a pic of the damage
    its dark here now so i'lll snap one tomorrow.its thru the paint to the bottom coat.

esplain better.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

all along the bottom of the ABS rear body part( not the bumper actually) that plastic. I used a paint brush in Photoshop to convey the general idea. Its not as dramatic as illustrated but its is visible.

I would hit it with a fine grade rubbing compound first. Rubbing compound makes lots of evils fade away if you don't go nuts with it.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    I would hit it with a fine grade rubbing compound first. Rubbing compound makes lots of evils fade away if you don't go nuts with it.
    There are a few fairly deep gouges.The guy who reccoed the 400 grit sand paper pointed to hit front lip spoiler showing me how smooth it was and said he scraped it like i did all the time and was really smooth but if it was fiberglass might it be a different story?

When I talked to the guy at the indy about my paint chips, he suggested building up the paint with repeated applications of touch up paint using an artist's brush and doing wet sanding in between. I didn't know what wet sanding was and here is what our fellow forum members told me about the technique.

How do you wet sand? Is it a good idea?

If you have gouges, this might work.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

So the fact that this is plastic makes no difference? I'd tend to think paint would be harder to build up on plastic.. but I'm no chemical engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    So the fact that this is plastic makes no difference? I'd tend to think paint would be harder to build up on plastic.. but I'm no chemical engineer.
    Don't really know about the plastic. If the gouges are deep, what options do you have? Do you want to sand that much? It would seem like sanding enough to get out deep gouges would leave wide stripes needing touch up.

Don't blow off the rubbing compound suggestion too quickly. When hubby had the 525 he did something that left a lot of scrapes and some blue paint in that area. It was white so it really showed. Rubbing compound really did smooth out all but the deepest of the gouges. After working on it about 3 times, it really didn't show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast