GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: so, how badly have you gotten hurt working on cars

Default so, how badly have you gotten hurt working on cars

****ing radiator on a e36 blew up and roasted my arm today, i may yet keep the skin but the day ain't over yet, 7-8 years ago while crushing cars at the yard i slipped fell and put my arm through the windshield of a porsche up to the shoulder, only 20-30 stiches and didn't loose anything coulda been worse. radiator blew up on a buddy and shot him in the crotch (that would suck on so many different levels), had another buddy that was doing a strut job with those shitty threaded rod compressors that launched a spring into his crotch (i saw that one happen) the older guy i work with had a battery blow up on him and got his arm pretty good

how bout ya'll
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Winfred

Sorry about your arm. I think it must have effected your head too. Normally you would post pictures.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

unless it sheads skin it just looks like a arm, slathered in aloe, id take pictures of the scars on the other arm but i don't think they would show up, i could post george if ya really want

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    Winfred

Sorry about your arm. I think it must have effected your head too. Normally you would post pictures.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    unless it sheads skin it just looks like a arm, slathered in aloe, id take pictures of the scars on the other arm but i don't think they would show up, i could post george if ya really want
    Actually I would prefer you post some pictures of those unfortunate injuries that your friends suffered.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

radiator neck broke and burning coolant got me in the chest and some on the face, no scarring though. other than that, the normal bloody knuckles and a broken finger, swollen toes from dropping wrenches and bruised ego when i don't finish something in the time i thought i would

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

trust me you wouldn't wanna see ed's black & blue/swollen crotch from the spring if i had a pic to show, and john told me of his scaulding i didn't witness it nore would i wanna see it, didn't wanna see ed's blue balls ether

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    Actually I would prefer you post some pictures of those unfortunate injuries that your friends suffered.

Not as badly as not working on them. I got overcharged by about $300 for the thrust arms+ bushings i had put on this week...I'd rather have slipped and slammed my knuckles into the wheel hub forcing a frozen bolt than be some parts guys bitch.To make it worse, the reason i OK'ed the high quote was i wanted the job done thne on Tuesday to go camping up state this weekened becasue at that time the Weather was forecast to be great and its now a washout so i had no reason to take the parts at that price . I could have said no, gotten the car back and got the arms myself then had him put them in.I just never invisioned him charging me $550 .oo for the parts. Still smarts, ouch..
    Last edited by Jehu; 08-25-2006 at 10:52 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

When I was 15 or so and fixing the horn on my 56 ford pickup, I had a HUGE pair of channel lock pliers (HUGE) that I was using to try to prise the steering wheel up with. At one point I had the pliers in both hands, holding on to the center of the wheel, pulling UP with all my might...

Ever do that "polack test" in school where you hold your buddy's fist and tell him to try his hardest to touch his knuckles to his forehead, then let go when he's pulling the hardest and he punches himself in the head?

Well, it was like that... I was pulling with all my might and the channel locks slipped and I whacked myself in the forehead REALLY REALLY hard. Nearly passed out, still have a bump there 17 years later.

BTW - Winfred... my wife was looking over my shoulder just now and saw the pic of mario bro in your sig... she asked, "is that Winfred??" (good thing you changed if from The Bean, eh?)

- Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

was removing the strut assembley from the lower arm, while there was a bottle jack "attempting" to do something, i cant remember.....

to make a long story short the entire strut assembley popped out of the steering and hit me in the face. lucliky i noticed a fraction of a second before that it was a bad idea and started to move away when it happened, otherwise my face would be all wired up.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

About 20 years ago, I was helping a mate of mine put his gearbox back into his Alfa Alfetta GT after a rebuild. These cars have a Dedion rear axle, and the gearbox is mounted at the back of the car with the diff.

We had the back of the car up on Jack Stands, it felt pretty secure. To get the gearbox in, we put a scissor jack underneath the dedion rear end (it's like a huge triangle) to hold it out of the way while we were on our backs under the car, trying to manouvre the gearbox into place.

Anyway, the scissor jack gave way, the dedion link collapsed, and that made the whole car move forward, it was still teetering on the jack stands, but only just. We dropped the gearbox, got out from under the car, and within seconds, it collapsed. Neither of us was hurt at all, but a few seconds more and we would have been pancakes.

The car felt pretty secure on the jack stands, but nowdays I don't go anywhere near the underneath of my car without a backup plan.

John

Pics of my E34 M5 -> http://www.jrobbo.com/M5

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast