GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Another Discount Tire rant...

Default HELP! Another Discount Tire rant...

Went back last Friday as a tire was low on air, they fixed it (claimed a screw and bead leak (both at the same time!)) and somehow rotated all the tires. I didnt even want to see where they jacked up the car this time.

For a heads up these are the same tires I got 2 days after buying the car last June, Uni-egg Tigar Claws GTH4 speed rated out of round pieces of ****.

Anyways I had it down to 2 square tires which were both in the rear, I really dont mind the side to side motion in slow traffic or the serious vibration on the freeway. Anyways they somehow did me a favor and rotated them to who knows where, busted a cap and lug bolt and happily sent me on my way.

Now the steering wheel shakes and its very noticable, I have to go on 2 road trips in the following weeks and need advice as how to approach my fine friends at Discount and have this fixed without spending endless hours of them humoring me.

If I had a 540 I could simply holeshot them at a high rate of speed in an effort to make them round, another option is to again deflate the tires in question as so they self destruct as I drive (avoid all potholes) another option is to slice them in half and call my insurance company and hope I randomly get 2 more round tires.

Is it the tires that are total **** or is it the tire professionals in question? I know the tires are NOT round and have a rather rithmic pattern about them, I like it but my car says no. The rims ARE bent which is probably a problem, the dial indicator says there off by .008. Just kiddin, thats nothing at all when the tires within a half inch visibly (.500?) They tell me that the tires are "within specs" and theres nothing wrong with them.

I have only been back to Discount 8 times (13 hrs so far) so I know im just a fussy customer.

Any angles, advice, recomendations or insight to what I should or shouldnt do to have this taken care of before this weekend? They have done the road load balance and everything is within "specs" but the tires are obviously out of round and kinda side to side as they spin, they dont like in the shop yet.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 06-30-2006 at 09:23 AM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Winfred may send you a couple of AK's for ...

your next visit to the shop, to review the "ON SPECS" criteria.

Jeff, that sucks! I'm thinking it's more the crap tires than the Discount boys, though. I know each one can be different, but the Columbus boys looked after me really well with the ContiSport2's I got last summer. I was in a hurry out of town (ya know, to get back to the 1 July Beer Holiday in Canada, eh?) and the guys gave me a great deal, printed out a pick sheet, and phoned the supervisor at the Continental depot a few miles South of their store. I dropped by the depot and was on the road back to Kingston in less than 1/2 an hour with two 911 Turbo-rated 255/40-17s and a big smile!

Hope the boys do right by you, though...sounds like a replacement with another brand is in order!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Jeff!

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

maybe you should try a different discount tire. or maybe ts the tires i havent even heard of the ones you have. they treat me great everytime i go. half the time i dont even have to wait, they just jump me to the front of the line so tire rotations dont take all day. only complaint i have was last time they threw away my metal valve covers with the old tires. they gave me new ones though.

Default Im gonna give a call...

and see what happens, there tires were grief since I got them. Hopefully I will have enough time to see what they will do with a positive attitude. I found with a bad attitude it dont help but also doesnt solve the probs, i"ll ask into a swap and see what comes over, too bad these are the etter traded replace the worn ones but have the chance of more eggs??? I dont think so!
    Thanks Duey, John, Javier and that 632 Regal dude

damn microlimp eatin my letters again....wheres that guy beatin us up for punctuation?
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 06-30-2006 at 09:26 AM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Uniegg? Tiger Slaws? must be a new brand :P

In all honesty, I've had amazing experiences with my local independant mechanic's circa 1950 tire balancing and mounting machine. As in, no issues, at any speed, under any conditions, on 17" wheels. Well, not exactly ANY speed, but I can voutch for anything up to 110mph

I would ditch Discount Tires and go with someone else altogether.

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Call the corporate office. They don't like complaints. Discount "claims" to be all about customer service. They will take care of you if you fight enough. You really have to watch those guys close. They mounted some tires for me on aftermarket rims I bought from them. I had the rims powdercoated first. Took the rims back for mounting. They put the wheels on the car and it had a death shake at 45mph. I couldn't even get on a freeway. Upon further inspection, I found the wheels required hubcentric rings. I went back and complained, and they said "We thought they didn't need them 'cause the powder coating was kinda thick". They smiled the whole time though. Don't trust the discount tire monkeys....

i'm thinking it's your tires too. tires are important, get something that's a little better. no offense or anything, but i've never heard of the tires you posted. i would go back, say you're unhappy with the tires, say you want some type of credit, and put those towards a decent set of tires. if they won't do it, take it up with their corporate office.

bent rims not good too.
    Last edited by shragon; 04-07-2004 at 12:10 PM.

Well called my friends, talked to Rodney who was sympethetic and went to find me a set of Michelin Pilots or Continental Extream Contact and put me on hold. A few minutes pass and someone else picks up the phone, I told them Rodney was helping me and he hung up on me. (did I mention I've had an ordeal with this place yet?) I call back and ask for my friend Rodney, hold and my old friend Chris (who originally and subsiquently "helps" me when I have problems) gets on the phone explaining how good the tires I have are and that BF goodrich, Pirelli AND Unieggs are ALL made by Michelin (something new I learned today) I explain that he should look in the computer and see how many times I have returned there with problems, he did. Anyways since the Michilins will take 2 days and the Contis will be there by noon tomorrow thats what I ordered up (same warehouse). I looked them up on tire rack and their rating is much better than Michelins anyways. They say all I need to bring is $226.00 and they'll hook me up, I'll bring a blank check for all the hidden upcharges that I will incur and definetly post how well my experience goes.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Default sorry, Uniroyal tiger paw

Quote Originally Posted by AllanS
    Uniegg? Tiger Slaws? must be a new brand :P

In all honesty, I've had amazing experiences with my local independant mechanic's circa 1950 tire balancing and mounting machine. As in, no issues, at any speed, under any conditions, on 17" wheels. Well, not exactly ANY speed, but I can voutch for anything up to 110mph

I would ditch Discount Tires and go with someone else altogether.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast