GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garage remodeling. Sugestions?

Default Garage remodeling. Sugestions?

I'm planing on doing some remodeling in my house garage, and would like to dig a wheel under one of the car parking places, so to be able to handle under the car mechanics standing on my feet and not my back.

Would appreciate any suggestions from the experts on dimensions, special features and any other characteristic I should consider on the design and planning. Please do not ask me to include compressed air, high pressure water or fresh motor oil lines, as I do not intend to install a service station, my wife have repeatedly notified me that she will not allow all my friends at home solving their car problems. She bets .

I had a pit in my barn, too shallow to stand up under a car and if on ramps too tall to comfortably work on so I filled it with gravel and cement. Dont forget in a pit if you handle anything heavy you have to work around whatever lift or jack your using and then crawl out and retrieve that item, not to mention move the car. A lift is sooo much better...have room for one of them?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default I agree with Jeff here, and a number of places are getting rid of

their pits because if you have other cars running nearby , the gases can sink into the pits and accumulate... So if you have the height there are a lot of really reasonable lifts available these days..

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    I had a pit in my barn, too shallow to stand up under a car and if on ramps too tall to comfortably work on so I filled it with gravel and cement. Dont forget in a pit if you handle anything heavy you have to work around whatever lift or jack your using and then crawl out and retrieve that item, not to mention move the car. A lift is sooo much better...have room for one of them?

Default How big is your garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    I'm planing on doing some remodeling in my house garage, and would like to dig a wheel under one of the car parking places, so to be able to handle under the car mechanics standing on my feet and not my back.

Would appreciate any suggestions from the experts on dimensions, special features and any other characteristic I should consider on the design and planning. Please do not ask me to include compressed air, high pressure water or fresh motor oil lines, as I do not intend to install a service station, my wife have repeatedly notified me that she will not allow all my friends at home solving their car problems. She bets .

The size will drive a LOT of ideas/thoughts.

Pits are also illegal to install in most states now adays...

you can get lifts rather cheap now...

and in the words of my father and my grandfather before him "it ain't gonna be big enough" (this was said before dimensions were even discussed...and its held true to this day)

Default OK Jeff, you are filling me on doubt. Was thinking on...

inspections, fuel filter changes, some suspension, motor, trany and dif oil of course, brake bleeding, and small issues like belts, hoses and pan gaskets. I would never mess with the trany (not qualified) and my experience with the BMW exhaust system is that it's too heavy for me. Fortunately I do not have a flex disk, hope the center bearing to last longer.

When you say lift, you mean rising the car about 6 foot, sure don't have that tall roof, nor the money to afford the lifter I suppose, as never considered buying one.

Default Look into some of the new "inexpensive" lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeak
    Pits are also illegal to install in most states now adays...

you can get lifts rather cheap now...

and in the words of my father and my grandfather before him "it ain't gonna be big enough" (this was said before dimensions were even discussed...and its held true to this day)

$2500-3000 for a lift, order it from northern equipment and tool and the freight is free, usually
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default 18' 8" long 36' wide. Four cars one besides the other

Will probably remove and set a new roof, but don't think it will be higher than 10'

Default What would be the roof heigth ...

requirements? Also, will there be need to have a perfectlly leveled floor?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast