GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECU Chip, cheap ebay, info.

Default ECU Chip, cheap ebay, info.

I purchased an ecu like the one below, only for the 93-94 model. (mine's 95 but MADE in 94)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-92...spagenameZWDVW

I installed the chip and yes, I do feel power gains under higher RPM's. (around 4500 especially). A little more torque, and I haven't tested going above the limiter... (135 i believe)

Just thought I would let you guys know.... yes... it did work. Not hard to install yourself either, took maybe 20 mins.

BMW 525i

Im glad you found a good one on Ebay, but most of us here are reluctant to buy anything other than EAT.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Ha,ha. You make it sound like a brainwashed cult. How about giving some reasons for the affinity here for the EAT's?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

EAT= $229
    The one I bought= $37.95

Tell me the difference. Just because something is a cheap copy doesn't mean its horrible.

Today, I went to dollar tree to find a cheap rug. Was looking at shampoo.

Garnier Fructis: $3 bottle
    Dollar Tree Fruit Shampoo: $1.50

Exact same ingredients word for word, exact same size.

Brand carries expense.

Just saying....

BMW 525i

EAT has well documented success on the forum. Many people are not willing to take the risk of buying an un-tested brand for fear that it could cause damage to their car, or not work at all.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by boardburton
    EAT= $229
    The one I bought= $37.95

Tell me the difference. Just because something is a cheap copy doesn't mean its horrible.

Today, I went to dollar tree to find a cheap rug. Was looking at shampoo.

Garnier Fructis: $3 bottle
    Dollar Tree Fruit Shampoo: $1.50

Exact same ingredients word for word, exact same size.

Brand carries expense.

Just saying....
    I wont degrade you for buying fruity shampoo, but im guessing that most of us here are the types of people who will pay a little extra for lasting quality (which is why we have e34s).
    southwest WA

Yeah... I'm 16 though... Bought my e34 with well-earned money from subway and 1500 from grandparents. I don't have a lot of money to spend on upgrades yet and thought maybe I could go cheap.

But yea, if I had the money, I would go EAT. But I dont.

BMW 525i

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    EAT has well documented success on the forum. Many people are not willing to take the risk of buying an un-tested brand for fear that it could cause damage to their car, or not work at all.
    The fact that the EAT is better documented and tested than any other chip is probably good enough for most. It saves gas too, so perhaps people do the math and work out that it is a solution with a guaranteed return- something the others do not support anyway near as convincingly as the ongoing testimonials described on all the various forums over the years.

I'm not against trying all the ROMs, but it is a PITA to swap over all the time and without doing it all on a Dyno anything one discovers is really blowing in the wind and will get treated as such. I reckon that the stock chips have a lot of de-tuning in them to meet the emissions tests. Once the car gets older, these things perhaps exacerbate losses in performance... but maybe I'm just blowin' I can see why a $40 chip is good. I bought a $35 German one once and it works better than stock, has the rev limiter removed. I'd say the EAT is better; BigKriss' car powers with it but is the same as mine in other ways, (except for the 'one-eyed squint'... )!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I notice the OP says he's got a "Cold Air Intake". From what I've heard the stock airbox is actually the optimal design as the CAI can be responsible for debris and or gunk getting thru causing problems. Obviously he wants to get as much speed out his car as he can and who doesn't . Is there as much a risk to the CAI as I believe i've learned?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

stock airbox and air filter, one headlight removed to duct the air from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I notice the OP says he's got a "Cold Air Intake". From what I've heard the stock airbox is actually the optimal design as the CAI can be responsible for debris and or gunk getting thru causing problems. Obviously he wants to get as much speed out his car as he can and who doesn't . Is there as much a risk to the CAI as I believe i've learned?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast