GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT+ To Volvo or not?

Default OT+ To Volvo or not?

Ladies and gents, this is in conjunction with my other post regarding my family's new arrival. We own a '97 Honda Accord LX with 135K miles, (yes, it is s-l-o-w compared to the 540 ) and I am considering trading this car for a '94 Volvo 850 Wagon. It is a 2.4 Liter 5 cylinder, non-turbo, leather, 103K Miles. Do any of you wise ones have any real-world experience with the 850 or the Volvo 5-cylinder engine or 4-speed automatic transmission in general? I have been to Sweedespeed, Volvoforums, and Volvospeed on the 'net, and have done much research. However, I value the opinions of those on this forum highly and beg for your wisdom. I have even contemplated selling the 540i to obtain an even newer Volvo. We are extremely limited on cash, and are looking to trade straight up or owe very little. Input greatly desired.

Thankee very much, Giff

Default Use this link...

...go to www.brickboard.com and do a search for the vehicle you are looking for. We have a 1998 V70 T5 with 103,000 miles and love it but you have to be careful with Volvos and choose the year with the least amount of problems for your budget. One year can make thousands of dollars difference in maintenance. Make sure you have a good indy to take care of the small stuff as well as the big ticket items. Whereabouts do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Black 535i
    ...go to www.brickboard.com and do a search for the vehicle you are looking for. We have a 1998 V70 T5 with 103,000 miles and love it but you have to be careful with Volvos and choose the year with the least amount of problems for your budget. One year can make thousands of dollars difference in maintenance. Make sure you have a good indy to take care of the small stuff as well as the big ticket items. Whereabouts do you live?
    I live in Knoxville, TN. There is a reputable shop here called European Motor Werks on Sutherland Avenue. From what I have read, the 93's are generally to be avoided, and that they made subtle improvements through to '97... They ALL have a reputation for leaky A/C condensers ($1K)... Is the V70 the only Volvo you have ever owned?

get a turbo one

Quote Originally Posted by nizmainiac
    get a turbo one
    turbo maintenance scares me. Should I not be afraid?

I have a 98 S70 GLT turbo 5 cyl automatic w/116k miles. Great car, very reliable. Wanna buy it?

I wouldn't worry too much about turbos on a Volvo, those swedes are pretty good with hair dryers.

I would stay away from an early 850, though, like the 93-95s. Unless it was really clean and had excellent maintenance history. The early FWD cars don't have a great reputation. You probably already know that from your research.

My only experience is with my 419,000km 740 turbo. It's a tank, I'm selling it to my little brother as his first car. If nobody pops the motor by running it dry of oil, it'll run forever.

[QUOTE=Mr Project]I wouldn't worry too much about turbos on a Volvo, those swedes are pretty good with hair dryers.

teehee, hair dryers...

Ken, looking for a wagon; but nice try

Yes, MP; I have seen good and bad about the FWD Bricks. The more input I get, and the more research I do; the more I think I need to dive into a late '80's / early '90's Volvo... Hmmm, anyone else?

No problem, and congrats on the beautiful daughter!

if you want a really good volvo get a 940 with or without turbo (turbos last a long time 200+k miles with 3k oil changes) tranny failures are rare, or a 91-93 240, the 93 850 is a bastard one year only pain in the ass (sorta like a 84 190e mercedes, nothing on the car is the same as the next year) 94-95 ain't terrible, prone to oil leaks mainly due to not cleaning/replacing the flame trap allowing crankcase pressure to build and blow seals, timing belt kills the motor when it breaks, ac evap takes about 6 hours of labor (aftermarket evaps SUCK get factory) rear main seal requiers dropping the engine/tranny/front suspension out of the car if you don't have access to the factory tool (which still takes the same 8-9 odd hours to do it without dropping the drivetrain)
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast