GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My bmw will not let me go above 130 mph

Default My bmw will not let me go above 130 mph

I tried searching the forums but to no avail. It would not surprise me if I missed it, but I wasn't really sure of the best terminology to find stuff on this topic. As the title says...

I recently completed about a 2300 mile drive from Dallas Texas to Washington state and got my 95 525I up to 130mph on the highway. However when I reached 130mph the engine would drop back in rpms until I reached 125mph or so and then if I continued to floor the gas, would return to 130. I'm pretty sure the trip computers max speed control is not active, and if it is I certainly don't understand why it would be at 130mph.

I've only owned my car about a month probably, so i'm still learning this one.

Help me out sirs, I would greatly appreciate it.

1995 BMW 525I E34
    102K Miles

I snapped this picture right as the engine started to cut back.
    And also to anyone wondering I did do this in the middle of the night in the middle of kansas soo, no one was at risk other than myself.
    Last edited by eliotgreen; 08-18-2006 at 04:42 AM. Reason: add picture

Unfortunately you live in the land of the free, where the electronic speed limiter acts at 130 mph.
    525 outside the US do not have such speed limitation.

That has nothing to do with your trip computer, that's is the in MOTRONIC.

So how do I disable that bs man?

A new performance chip which also will do max speed limter away, I also have another chip in, as my 750 was limited to 250 kmh.
    Something like this, example only!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-92...rdZ1QQtcZphoto
    Do a search on the board for performance chips, some people can recommend something which is probably better than the cheap stuff from the Bay.

Thanks much.

My BMW will not let me go above approx. 142 mph as well, so does anyone know if the normal Euro 535 is limited by the DME ?
    (I have always thought it was because it just runs out of power etc.)
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

Default My BMWs will only let me go as fast as

the slow pokes infront of me.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by eliotgreen
    So how do I disable that bs man?

http://www.dsylva-tech.ca/

I don't think the main purpose of the chip is to go faster, just better performance in general, but it will remove the limiter.
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

i see you are in S3, i never knew that S3 eventually upshifted to 4th gear.

Default OK, surprised by this point that I'm the first to say this...but...

sure as hell hope you don't kill yourself or worse, anyone else, on our highways doing 130mph.

and to minimize that risk you've got full attention to what's going on outside the car...(not taking pix of the speedo)... and that your car is in "bristol" shape to be driving nearly twice the limit in most states.....

My actual question is, though, if it went 135 or 140mph what would you be asking.... or if you got the EAT, just how fast would you go?

Quote Originally Posted by eliotgreen
    I tried searching the forums but to no avail. It would not surprise me if I missed it, but I wasn't really sure of the best terminology to find stuff on this topic. As the title says...

I recently completed about a 2300 mile drive from Dallas Texas to Washington state and got my 95 525I up to 130mph on the highway. However when I reached 130mph the engine would drop back in rpms until I reached 125mph or so and then if I continued to floor the gas, would return to 130. I'm pretty sure the trip computers max speed control is not active, and if it is I certainly don't understand why it would be at 130mph.

I've only owned my car about a month probably, so i'm still learning this one.

Help me out sirs, I would greatly appreciate it.

1995 BMW 525I E34
    102K Miles

I snapped this picture right as the engine started to cut back.
    And also to anyone wondering I did do this in the middle of the night in the middle of kansas soo, no one was at risk other than myself.
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast