GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Design 2 vs Design 3 19# Injectors

Default Design 2 vs Design 3 19# Injectors

I have read the archives regarding the 19# injectors, and there seems to be a problem with the fit of the design 3 injectors. (length, o-rings ect.)

Has anyone experienced any long term problems with the Design 3's?

If you are using the 2, or 3 series are you happy with them?

Which would you buy today?

M30, - trying to get to 400,000 miles . . ..

Thanks

Tom

ps. My first post here, hello all.
    1989 535i 5-speed 225,000mi
    2006 Ridgeline 10,000mi

2007 335i 6-speed 204 mi

the fit problem should be regarding the wiring harness, as they need an adapter to fit. the o-ring and size should be the same.

design 3 are superior injectors and provide more atomization by spinning the injector head at high speed (i think)
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

I have design 3 19# injectors and there is no noticable difference bewteen them and the stock injectors. They plug in normally with no adapter.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Hmm maybe I should post a poll?

50% say need adapter, 50% no adapter.

I think we need a larger sample!
    1989 535i 5-speed 225,000mi
    2006 Ridgeline 10,000mi

2007 335i 6-speed 204 mi

Quote Originally Posted by tvurt
    Hmm maybe I should post a poll?

50% say need adapter, 50% no adapter.

I think we need a larger sample!
    I dont think billionpa has installed them. Besides, he doesnt even have the M30 engine.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

I have an M30, with the Design 3 injectors from fiveomotorsports. I didn't need any wiring adapters, they plugged right in. I did oval the bolt holes that mount the fuel rail slightly. The design 3 injectors have a slightly shorter body than the OEM BMW injectors, IIRC, and I felt better about the seal when I cranked down the fuel rail slightly.

I also used new o-rings from BMA that came with my head gasket set. The ford o-rings on the injectors from fiveomotorsports weren't a very tight fit in the rail or in the head. The BMW-sized o-rings fit on just fine and were a good fit in the rail and the head.

sorry sorry... i was thinking you were talking about the 20# injectors... but im not sure if they need adapters either, someone had said that the "upgraded" injectors used an oval style connector and our cars have rectangular plugs... or something.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    sorry sorry... i was thinking you were talking about the 20# injectors... but im not sure if they need adapters either, someone had said that the "upgraded" injectors used an oval style connector and our cars have rectangular plugs... or something.
    Most Design 3s have the updated harness connector, one has to be careful to get the right ones that use the same old Bosch pigtails we have on an e34.

Design 3 may (or may not) have caused a slight off-idle hesitation on my car with the stock chip. Not sure yet what caused it.

Don't know if they cause any real benefit. I think if they cost me a lot I'd stick with the BMW specified ones for piece of mind. Mine were cheap pulls from some old GM V8, so now I have 2 spare .

Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!