GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal advice needed

Default Legal advice needed

I got pulled over today by some fatass in a suburban for my license plate (front is german) I got a 100$ ticket ?!? wtf.

What can I do to help this go away/be cheaper? Also, does this raise my insurance or anything for this ********?

THanks guys
    -Andrew
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

You know, I don't really see what the hell the big deal is about having a look-a-like plate as long as the numbers match the state plate on the back. Some states don't even require a front plate (mine does, but I know of some that don't). Maybe you could plead the numbers matching and maybe show them that you do possess the correct front one as well. Worse comes to worse you might have to put it in the front windshield if you really wanna leave the current one up front. Most laws read "must have visible front license plate" but don't specify where. A lot of kids get away with sticking them in the windshield on the dash.

Does you state require a front plate? If not I do not see what the problem is. If it does $100 and no points seems fair for being in the wrong.

Legal advice*: pay the ticket.

If your state requires a front plate (state issued) as many do, you are not likely to get around it by fighting it in court. By not using the proper plate, you are asking to get stopped. Of course, if you think the law is stupid you have the right to go to court to argue your view, but it won't change the law and you'll pay a bigger fine for using the court's time.

I got stopped in a drunk driver checkpoint last year and with nothing else to charge me with, they issued me a ticket for not having my signature on the back of my driver's license. I just paid the fine of $55, as assinine as I thought it was. It just wasn't worth further aggravation.

There are NO points on a non-moving violation. It will NOT raise your insurance rates.

If your state does not require a front plate, they may allow a "decorative" plate (fight cancer or your favorite team) but not allow a numbered plate such as yours, which might be construed as misidentification.

New Jersey requires a front plate and I know of a couple people that use a "decorative" european type plate on their vehicle. Their local police may ignore it but at some point, a state police officer may take issue with it so I wouldn't use one since I don't like to give any of them a reason to stop me.

*Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and offer this information only as a reference to my own experience dealing with such issues. Your results may vary.

Put the real front plate on or move to a state that doesn't require one. Why give the police an excuse to pull you over at will?

If you really want to get it reduced you can go to the court with a correct front plate and tell them you were wrong, but have corrected the vehicle. Just don't be out in the parking lot switching back to your other wanna-be plate later.

nearly each time I've gone to the hearing to challenge a fine it has either been dismissed or reduced.I would go for the hearing with the Magistrate. Plead youthful ignorance and show a picture of the car with the correct plate and apologies. If they still find you responsible and don't reduce the fine politely ask if they would.If they refuse, and you can spare another few hours of the morning in court go for the judge. At least that's how it worked in Mass when i lived there . You send in the ticket checked off you want a hearing, go for the hearing before the magistrate, if they find you responsible you can appeal it to a Judge. I went for that every time but one , when the magistrate said I'd have to pay $20 for an appeal. I thought that sounded strange because I'd been in several different courts and never been told i had to pay for Justice. I thought we paid for Judges by our taxes .Anyway Judges have more often dismissed or reduced the fine than not from me experience.You've got nothing but a few hours in court to lose.
    Last edited by Jehu; 08-17-2006 at 08:58 AM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Don't know where you live, but in my neck of the woods, showing up with a receipt for new plates ("the other front plate was lost") and acting contrite will likely get you off without more. Just showing up with a photo of a legal plate fastened safely and legally on your car might also work - don't know. But, if you mouthed off to the cop, you're dead meat.

you got the ticket, might as well go enjoy the show.

I always go to court, almost 90% of the time I get reduced or dismissed.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Hmmm - not my idea of entertainment, but it is sometimes quite the freak show.

Default Kinda funny, North Carolina adopted legislation...

...allowing vintage/antique cars to run a historical plate as long as they carry the correct one with the vehicle. Thus, I run my 1929 NC tag on the car, and carry the modern Horseless Carriage tag under the seat. Had a few interesting looks from LE officers, but no one has challenged me on it yet.

Here's a fun profile shot...mine's the fourth radiator down.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast