GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY wheel refinishing pics

Default DIY wheel refinishing pics

I've had a beat-up set of 17" BBS RCs in the shed for a while collecting dust, so I decided I better get off my @ss and do something with them. The wheels were polished & clearcoated, but one was badly rashed, and the clearcoat was majorly peeling on the others. I used the NASA guide that had been linked here before to fix the rash on the bad wheel. I had previously painted a set of 16" bottlecaps with Wurth silver, but decided I wanted something a little different so I bought graphite-color wheel paint (Dupli-Color). Here's what it looks like after 3 coats of the base coat. I still have to apply the clear (and finish the other 3 wheels). I'm debating whether to keep the BBS centers, or use the old-fashioned Motorsport stickers that I've had in the garage for a few years. Any opinions?

Before

After

Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

wow, nice job, looks awesome!

i'd use the bbs centers.
    Last edited by shragon; 04-06-2004 at 11:53 AM.

That looks really good! I do like the graphite look. I'd go for the Motorsport centers for a splash of color. Great job.

zmuff--1989 535i 5-speed--17" E39 Style 32's--JC chip--UUC Short Shift--
    --Racing Dynamics Springs & Sways--Bilsteins--Yorktown, VA

Love the wheels, paint type and color. Same paint type I used for restoring my basketweaves. If you really want to spend the time, you could restore the lips to original condition. My vote is for the BBS center cap.
    The graphite color is really popular in the tuner community and have to say I like it.
    Really looks good with certain body paint colors.
    George

Default Drew...love the color...my vote is for the ///M centers

Quote Originally Posted by DrewZ
    I've had a beat-up set of 17" BBS RCs in the shed for a while collecting dust, so I decided I better get off my @ss and do something with them. The wheels were polished & clearcoated, but one was badly rashed, and the clearcoat was majorly peeling on the others. I used the NASA guide that had been linked here before to fix the rash on the bad wheel. I had previously painted a set of 16" bottlecaps with Wurth silver, but decided I wanted something a little different so I bought graphite-color wheel paint (Dupli-Color). Here's what it looks like after 3 coats of the base coat. I still have to apply the clear (and finish the other 3 wheels). I'm debating whether to keep the BBS centers, or use the old-fashioned Motorsport stickers that I've had in the garage for a few years. Any opinions?

Before

After

Old school rulz.......go ///M covers

Wow - Drew - Looks GREAT - love the darker color and it will look great on the black wagon. I'd go with the BBS center, or perhaps a more conventional Roundel. I like the old Motorsport center a lot, I just don't know that I like it on that wheel.....

Default great job...

i think the old M-logo is great, however, i think the BBS center looks more appropriate on that wheel. you got me thinking about my style 5's.....

Nice/question. I need to do my 850 turbines (track set). Might go for the graphite look.

How do you plan to harden the paint? Just give it time to set or are you putting the wife's oven to good use?

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

is there a site with instruction on how to prep/refinish wheels? I'd like to do it myself if I can but I dont know what I'm doing. Nice job by the way, what color is the car? Oh, and Id use the M caps, you dont see those very often at all
    No matter where you go, there you are...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast