GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEM tail lights tinted in a Body Shop

Default OEM tail lights tinted in a Body Shop

Anyone know how these smoked tails which were done in a body shop will differ from those which come smoked from Hella?Just wondering if the coating is known to fade if the Hellas might be formed with the tinting in the plastic and not added as a coating.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Anyone know how these smoked tails which were done in a body shop will differ from those which come smoked from Hella?Just wondering if the coating is known to fade if the Hellas might be formed with the tinting in the plastic and not added as a coating.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
    Meh. I would have tinted the Clear Hellas instead of the ambers. Never liked the look of tinted amber tails in the sun.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

I've never seen them but i'd like to keep the amber with my Oxford Grreen . The clears to me look good with black or white . I'm just wondering if what they use to tint it is prone to fadeing.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I've never seen them but i'd like to keep the amber with my Oxford Grreen . The clears to me look good with black or white . I'm just wondering if what they use to tint it is prone to fadeing.
    Smoked looks great with green, imho.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

I've got clears on my Oxford Green. I think it's OK, it's all up to personal taste. It would look ultimate on white, black or silver, but Oxford Green is so close to black that I think I can get away with it.

It didn't look quite right with just clears, so I got a rear trunk reflector from a 540i and stuck it on, looks pretty good. I'll change my number plates to black colour (you can do this in Victoria, Australia) and I think it would look pretty good.

pic (without reflector)

Don't waste your money on those... they are just old stockers that were painted with some rc car window tint and cleared. If you're gonna get smoked tails, at least smoke the euro clears instead of U.S. OE gayness
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMPower
    Don't waste your money on those... they are just old stockers that were painted with some rc car window tint and cleared. If you're gonna get smoked tails, at least smoke the euro clears instead of U.S. OE gayness
    I agree. You can do this yourself for about $10 in RC window tint spray. And yes it will fade. Did mine last year and it only lasted about 10 months. If your really going to spray thes buy the euro version with the white on top then spray them and clear them at a body shop. IMHO these look even better than the tinted hellas.

My buddy is a painter and he mixed up a tint for my tails. We just used 3M speed clear, dodge PX8 and reduced it.. They arent too dark but the finish is great, Im really happy with the way it came out for $20
    '92 536i (m30)
    '88 535i

The Hellas dont fade, and as I understand it there are clear lenses over tinted reflectors, that is why they are US DOT legal.

Theres a link for a site, http://www.jonstintedtails.com You can send them your tail lights, corners, whatever and they will paint with their 2 stage process. Tails $95. So if you can find yourself a pair of clear hellas, you can ship to them, 3 days, and they get them back to you. I'm looking into purchasing another set of clears and smoking those, to see how they look.
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast