GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Exhaust?????????/

Default Exhaust?????????/

Recentley got a 1990 525ia,not a bad little car. Have had BMW's in the past but not recently.
    Well I got hit in the rear, not bad but knocked the two exhaust pipes into the muffler and now thers a BIG hole there.Sounds like S*&T.
    QUESTON: Is there a aftermarket mufler that I can exchange for the old one with the BIG hole in it, if so from who?

My two five series both have the original muffler. 11 year on the original I must say it is very durable. I would think all major mail order outfits have them. Check out AutoHauz.

Be fore warned, you are in for a lot lot work if you DIY. The muffler connection to the cat will give you fits. My experience is the replacement muffler lasts about four years, ansa or bosal.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Next time, please do post a more informative title. Thanks!

On that note, do you have pics? Perhaps we can salvage it by patchwork...
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

You have some options here. It sounds like you need to scrap ther rear muffler. You should have a whole one piece cat back exhaust. You can get either a new stock cat back or cut off ther rear section muffler and put another one on it. This will take some more work from you in searching for the sound and muffler you want, searching for the correct pipes if needed, and find a shop that can weld the parts in place. I say, if you like the stock look and quiet sound, get an OEM rear muffler and get it welded on. If not, go a little sportier, and there are many options out there. Some people go really loud thinking to take advantage and place a very sporty muffler. I know of many people who get tired of the loud sound over time and their tastes, ears, and tolerance lasts shorter than the life of the muffler.

One other thing, the rubber donuts around the center resonator may be broken if the exhaust was hit. Also, double check there aren't any other leaking areas that make the exhaust louder.

Time for you to make a budget, define what you are looking for, what work you can do, and then your search and options will then be refined.

Good Luck.
    Brandon J

if you're wanting to go cheap, i'd suggest a dual in single out flowmaster. with your stock resonators and catylictic converter, it should give you a mello tone, should be about $120 installed at your local shop.

Quote Originally Posted by hatched91
    if you're wanting to go cheap, i'd suggest a dual in single out flowmaster. with your stock resonators and catylictic converter, it should give you a mello tone, should be about $120 installed at your local shop.
    Whereas an ANSA OE replacement, which is designed for the car exactly, costs a bomb to make (in comparison as it is bent like a banana) and is longer, fits perfectly in the strange space on the stock hangers, will not affect ecnonomy, willl not bang or rattle etc. (in the US) costs around $200. I know what I would do...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

THANKS, for all the info on exhaust, rear muffler, all good advice and I needed your imput.
    I started to order a oem cat back , found one on e-bay , about $255,plus ship ,it would last forever , but then I remembered something that my ex said, nothing last forever.
    Then i found an ansa for around $230 shiped. Thats me, and its ordered.
    Alot more than a patch but alot less than a Bavauto stanless for $799
    Thanks again for all of your imput.

Quote Originally Posted by COT1
    ..........I started to order a oem cat back , found one on e-bay , .......Then i found an ansa for around $230 shiped. T.
    You would probably find the original equipment quieter and easier to live with, especially in its bedding in period. Aftermarket does little for performance in the way of the extra noise trade off. However, on the plus side, ANSA will likely be more durable than those crappy noisey tinny ones from your average tire/exhaust fitters.
    1994 E34 530i MTech UK 137,000 Miles 45,000 on Alusil