GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microfilter or Cabin filter?

Default Microfilter or Cabin filter?

Hi y'all. My A/C just is not blowing like it should (air pressure out of vents) I just went to the BMA page and they list two filters for my 92 535. Both listed as "fresh air filters" the first is called the CABIN FILTER and the Second is the MICROFILTER. Do I need both? Does my car have both? Any help or tips on this will be very appreciated.
    1992 535i
    Work in Progress 6/06

email BMA from their contact us form. They will respond. I bought mine from the local Dealership $35.00 but i didn't have to wait for it to arrive. I had the thing out when i went there and installed it in their lot. Only thing is my glove box now seems to close a half inch lower than before .It closes tight but isn't flush with the wood trim strip .I lay down looking up at the back and i can't seem to see any other way of fitting those clasps on the rail than it is now.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

I just searched Microfilter and did see that you needed a torx driver? special tool?
    1992 535i
    Work in Progress 6/06

yes. you will need that . I got one at a local hardware store for under $4.00 the head has a particular slotting similar to a phillips but you can't use one of those.Its like a star pattern. Get a T20 torx driver
    This site was helpful http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_4.htm
    Last edited by Jehu; 08-15-2006 at 07:28 PM.

Good info. Thank you. Once I remove the glove box is the procedure pretty straight forward from there?

Quote Originally Posted by ska-Texas
    Good info. Thank you. Once I remove the glove box is the procedure pretty straight forward from there?
    Yes. What needs to be removed and how to do it are all very intuitively recognizable.The only thing that left me wondering to any degree was if i had fitted the filter casing cover with the turn-lock on all the way but once i tightened that torx screw in all the way i was sure i had. I could have positioned my self more suitably to see up in there when i was doing it but i managed not to have to flip upside down to do that and again replacing everything was easily done and i am a very forgetful guy , i worried i;d forget the order of the panel pieces but there are really so few pieces you deal with , i think four pieces including the duct tubing, carpet panel and two plastic panels above and beside the glove box.I thought I'd need to print out that web page and have it with me but i dove into it and it was pretty basic.

Default You still don't have the clasps adjusted correctly if it

closes like that. The clasps slide back and forth in the slot before you tighten them down. Close the glove box, then underneath the glove box unfasten the clasps. with the clasps loose, move the box around until the pieces up front line up correctly then latch the clasps to lock it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    email BMA from their contact us form. They will respond. I bought mine from the local Dealership $35.00 but i didn't have to wait for it to arrive. I had the thing out when i went there and installed it in their lot. Only thing is my glove box now seems to close a half inch lower than before .It closes tight but isn't flush with the wood trim strip .I lay down looking up at the back and i can't seem to see any other way of fitting those clasps on the rail than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    closes like that. The clasps slide back and forth in the slot before you tighten them down. Close the glove box, then underneath the glove box unfasten the clasps. with the clasps loose, move the box around until the pieces up front line up correctly then latch the clasps to lock it in place.
    Thanks for that tip! I had EXCATLY the same prob with the glovebox not closing right, also to the original poster, I paid 12 bucks for my filter at O'Rieleys and be careful removing and in stalling it, the filters rests against a radiator of sorts and you can easily mash the fins when moving the filter. You wont belive the results, it will blow your hair back in the rear seat from the dash.

Unless you live in a really dry, dusty place you dont need it. I pulled mine out and my AC runs great and cold.

BMW 525i

Quote Originally Posted by boardburton
    Unless you live in a really dry, dusty place you dont need it. I pulled mine out and my AC runs great and cold.
    Is this idea supported by the manufacturer?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast