GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1994 530i Steam Cleaning Engine & Waxing & whereabouts of BMW Club?

Green Bimmer Guest

Default 1994 530i Steam Cleaning Engine & Waxing & whereabouts of BMW Club?

Joe Here from Orlando

Since I just changed the water pump I noticed my engine really needs to be steam cleaned good. Any recommendations? Also I need a good wax or waxing compound, because my car have some fading of the paint on top, Any Suggestions would be highly appreciated?

One last thing, do anyone know of a BMW club here in Orlando?

Zaino is a very good wax from what i have heard. You will probably want to clay bar as well. www.detailersclub.com is a very good resource for detailing stuff.

You probably do not want to steam clean your engine, you can mess up the electricals. If you must, cover all electric stuff in plastic and spray a degreaser on your hot engine. Wait a few minutes for it to soak in and then spray it off with a stream of water. Personally, i just use a rag, some simple green, and a lot of time.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

I just finished reading an article explaining why you DON'T want to steam clean your engine
    http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/eric...g/cleaning.htm
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

I cant imagine why it would be reccomended to have the engine as operating temperature. I think it should be cold, you dont want to hit a hot metal with cold water, this can cause cracks, deformation ect. No matter what type of metal. A cold engine with a good degreaser and mild pressure will do the trick.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BlueM60
    I cant imagine why it would be reccomended to have the engine as operating temperature. I think it should be cold, you dont want to hit a hot metal with cold water, this can cause cracks, deformation ect. No matter what type of metal. A cold engine with a good degreaser and mild pressure will do the trick.

-Ben
    the gunk you want to wash off will be more easily removed when heated up.The metal won't crack from the temeraptures in play, you're not using liquid nitrogen are you?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by BlueM60
    I cant imagine why it would be reccomended to have the engine as operating temperature. I think it should be cold, you dont want to hit a hot metal with cold water, this can cause cracks, deformation ect. -Ben
    Cracking and warping...is this true? Are you pulling my leg? I sure hope that the engine never gets so hot that it will crack with cold water being thrown on it... What happens if it rains and you drive through a puddle, or even in slushy snow? Since you're constantly cooling it off, that the temperature differential shouldn't cause any cracking or warping issues...I don't think ...at least I hope not.

the blocks are aluminum, not iron....
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

i wouldnt do it with the engine at "normal operating temprature" i would wait until it was warm or hot to the touch.I wouldnt steam clean or use a hih pressure cleaner though...degreaser and lots of elbow grease for me.
    Gone but not forgotten

Do not steam clean! moisture will creep into most electical connections and may damage it. Search the archives for tecniques.

Waxing/sealing the finish is only a portion of detailing. It is done last after you clean, polish and prep the paint. General rule, use the least agressive polishes that do the job. Again search. Also look at Roadfly's detailing forum, Autopia or similar forums for more than you want to know about the world of detailing.
    Last edited by Russell; 08-13-2006 at 08:29 AM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Try Duragloss 105 sealant. Low cost OTC at Napa or Carquest. Seems to work very well with high gloss and reflectivity. Seems durable. Beads water even covered in dirt. As usual, will need to prep paint before application.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast