GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 535i head removal tips and tricks

Default 535i head removal tips and tricks

Anybody got a good link or source for tips and tricks for removal of the head?

Suggestions such as how best to get to the studs on the under side of the intake manifold, what does and really does not need to be unplugged beforehand, etc. would be most helpful.

Pics would be great, if there is such a link.

Bentley is not as specific as hoped.

Those studs are a bastard to get to. I removed head with inlet manifold attached.
    Plenty of info on head removal in the forums, including [URL="www.BMWE34.net"]

Bill G Melbourne Australia

I just left the intake manifold on the head and lifted them out together. Other than being a little heavy for a weiner like myself, it was no big deal and much easier than trying to get those lower nuts off.

I agree that there is no percentage in removing the intake just to remove the head - however, if your car is right-hand drive (difficult for me to even guess when as a 'big,big time poster' your profile is so comprehensively filled out in invisible ink!), then some of exhaust header bolts can be tricky to get to as the steering box is very close (and its also best to remove the steering box heatshield for access).

A tricky part comes when replacing the head with intake on, simply because the weight and bulk makes it quite awkward to line up everything when you are leaning over the engine bay (unless you happen to be superman), therefore a hoist is recommended to lower/manoeuvre it carefully - I was not so careful as I forgot to remove the oil dipstick first, and my small mis-judgement made the head snap off the plastic ring-pull of the dipstick, so had to get a new one - something that few people have a spare one of it seems ! - oh well

Oh and I fitted new head bolts and paid very careful attention to the tightening sequences in the Bentley with respect to rotational angles and final torques etc.
    So far, 17k miles later all is still just fine
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

[QUOTE=zygoteer]...some of exhaust header bolts can be tricky to get to as the steering box is very close (and its also best to remove the steering box heatshield for access).

Mine is a US version left hand drive, so the steering box is not an issue.

Presumably, the exhaust manifold can be unbolted and moved to the side enough to clear the studs.

I got the injection wiring harness off the fuel rail, except for one main cable at the rear that runs straight down, and it is not obvious where that one can be disconnected for removal.

Bentley says to put the wiring harness out of the way, but it's attached to the firewall and seems like it will interfere with pulling the head up and off. Were you able to work past that?

Yes, I used some thin cord to tie it out of the way to the wiper arm spindles
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

Quote Originally Posted by zygoteer
    Yes, I used some thin cord to tie it out of the way to the wiper arm spindles
    There's a cable that goes from the bottom of the plastic harness housing straight down between the 5 and 6 cylinder intake ducts, but I cannot see what it connects to. It must be disconnected before the harness can be moved out of the way. Any idea where that vertical cable disconnects?