GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OK...the Akebono Brakes website claims no break in period on front pads....

Default OK...the Akebono Brakes website claims no break in period on front pads....

....so we'll see.

Here's their own website saying so:
    http://www.akebonobrakes.com/afterma.../features.html

Here's those words.... (below)...doing them in the morning w/new vanilla brembo rotors....

Rob.

"
    ProACT LOADED BRAKE PADS

Engineered to eliminate noise, vibration and harshness, ProACT Ceramic Disc Brake Pads provide the ultimate braking experience. The best replacement for restoring OE ceramic pad performance, ProACT Ceramic Disc Pads are also ideal for upgrading from conventional pads.

In addition to dramatically quieter braking, ProACT Ceramic Pads provide best-in-class braking performance, including enhanced initial effectiveness (no break-in required), high resistance to fade, consistent brake pedal feel and ultra-low dusting for cleaner wheels and tires. Ceramic technology also causes minimal wear on brake rotors.

All of this adds up to fewer comebacks, increased bay efficiency, and completely satisfied customers.

Akebono Ceramic Brake Technology leads the industry with these exclusive features:

* Harmonically damped design for maximum control of NVH
    * Vehicle-optimized ceramic formulas for superior performance that is unmatched by “one size fits all” brands
    * Post cured and heat scorched to ensure the highest initial effectiveness requiring no “break-in procedures” (exclusive to front formulations)
    * “Rotor-friendly” pad formulations prevent uneven rotor wearing and pulsation complaints
    * Precision-fit steel backing plates lead the industry in reducing vibration induced noise
    * 100% chamfered and slotted to further enhance NVH control
    * High resistance to fade with fast recovery
    * Precision-fit shims aid in noise abatement and prevent shim migration
    * Black powder coat finish provides OE-level corrosion resistance
    * 100% asbestos-free formulations
    * High-temperature resistant moly lube included in all boxes

"
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Default break them in anyway, just like any other pad. I always

do on customers cars that i use them on. And they are still my current best pad that i've installed on any cars. Raybestos qs is a close second, especially now that they seemed to have redesigned the qs and added more stuff to the package such as caliper pin seals and improved shims on cars that have them.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPatt
    ....so we'll see.

Here's their own website saying so:
    http://www.akebonobrakes.com/afterma.../features.html

Here's those words.... (below)...doing them in the morning w/new vanilla brembo rotors....

Rob.

"
    ProACT LOADED BRAKE PADS

Engineered to eliminate noise, vibration and harshness, ProACT Ceramic Disc Brake Pads provide the ultimate braking experience. The best replacement for restoring OE ceramic pad performance, ProACT Ceramic Disc Pads are also ideal for upgrading from conventional pads.

In addition to dramatically quieter braking, ProACT Ceramic Pads provide best-in-class braking performance, including enhanced initial effectiveness (no break-in required), high resistance to fade, consistent brake pedal feel and ultra-low dusting for cleaner wheels and tires. Ceramic technology also causes minimal wear on brake rotors.

All of this adds up to fewer comebacks, increased bay efficiency, and completely satisfied customers.

Akebono Ceramic Brake Technology leads the industry with these exclusive features:

* Harmonically damped design for maximum control of NVH
    * Vehicle-optimized ceramic formulas for superior performance that is unmatched by “one size fits all” brands
    * Post cured and heat scorched to ensure the highest initial effectiveness requiring no “break-in procedures” (exclusive to front formulations)
    * “Rotor-friendly” pad formulations prevent uneven rotor wearing and pulsation complaints
    * Precision-fit steel backing plates lead the industry in reducing vibration induced noise
    * 100% chamfered and slotted to further enhance NVH control
    * High resistance to fade with fast recovery
    * Precision-fit shims aid in noise abatement and prevent shim migration
    * Black powder coat finish provides OE-level corrosion resistance
    * 100% asbestos-free formulations
    * High-temperature resistant moly lube included in all boxes

"

How much are they?

If you gotta ask you cant afford them

Quote Originally Posted by mamilapon
    How much are they?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Update - Akebono pads on, overall they rock.... (LONG)

REPORT: Akebono pads came w/a nice (real NICE) sticky backing material of which the other side had what seems a very HQ silencing material on it... that and the little greast pack per directions on this board, etc result in no noises at all...

I broke them in per www.stoptech.com's method (http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml) and Bill R's recommendation... but I did 12 cycles ... smelled brakes after 8th time... then just took a nice country drive to let them cool... now I'm in the 'easy' phase trying to go light on them for the next 150-200 miles....

They stop quickly and smoothy. During break in I didn't get any fade (assuming that's good?). I wouldn't describe them as having "bite", but they're very very good, just seem to stop you real smoothly...and quickly, but w/o a feeling of bite... really nice pads so far.
    --------------------------------------------

MISC: ...easy job, new rotors, cleaned up the calipars, was very meticulous on the hub surfaces, rotor surfaces (along the hub&wheel), and wheel surface too....

...wish I had more time and was better prepared as I would have put on new brake lines (OEM) and also painted the rotors silver along w/a rebuild of the piston seals, etc... maybe another time or in a while....
    ----------------------------------
    Hope this helps someone decide. They were about $65 from tirerack a few months ago... (moved houses and just got time to install)

Rob sends....
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

I partially broke in my Akebonos and had a slight shake during first 150 miles..... thing about that backing pad it makes it tight on the rotors for the 1st 500 miles and you may get some noise..... at least in my case.
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport